New iMac - is hard drive upgradeable after purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by codefinder, Oct 18, 2015.

1. codefinder macrumors newbie

codefinder

Hi everyone,

Thinking about switching to the new 5k iMac, currently have a workstation with I use for VMs, video editing, photoshop, and dev work. All of which I can do with the new iMac.

Just wondering can I upgrade the hard drive after purchase. I know memory is upgradeable.

I noticed an article where the 21 inch the hard drive was no upgradable, hoping thats not the same for the 27 inch version.

Thanking you in advance for feedback.

Cheers.

2. huffy15 macrumors regular

The ram is upgradable on the iMac 27 without removing the screen.

3. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

The hard drive requires you to remove the monitor (which is held in place with magnets I believe) - undo a few wires, and replace the drive, then put it all back.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The Mac has not used magnets for the front glass panel since before the 2012 models (The iMacs went to the very thin design). The case is glued/taped together, and requires slicing carefully through the seal, all around the outside edge. It's quite challenging, but do-able if you take your time, and have the tools at hand.
    Review one of the tear-down videos, or look at iFixit.com for repair videos.
    If you feel comfortable with the disassembly, then that's entirely up to you. The hard drive is just a standard spinner, and is replaceable, although Apple does not call your iMac user-accessible, beyond the memory.

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Okay! Thanks for the facts. I quickly googled and noticed it saying magnet everywhere, maybe my query was too biased :) I appreciate your follow up.

6. Kappsi macrumors newbie

Replacing the hard drive is a lot of work and can very easily damage or wreck your iMac. It is essentially not replaceable, but with enough persistence and the right tools (which are custom ones you'd need to buy), it's doable if you're desperate enough.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given they way they are currently designed, I wouldn't try and upgrade the hard drive myself.

8. codefinder thread starter macrumors newbie

codefinder

Thanks everyone, kinda torn whether I want an iMac or Macbook Pro. I need more power, current Macbook Air mid 2013 is not cutting it.

9. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I am puzzled why anyone would want to spend good money on a beautifully designed piece like the contemporary iMac and then take it apart in their home and start "shade tree mechanic" wrenching on it.

Get yourself a MBP, and get the SSD and memory you want straight out the gate. They aren't FSU the way the mid-2012 and earlier MBP's.

10. twilexia macrumors 6502

I've got both. Personally if I had to choose between one or the other I'd go for a MBPro with an external monitor. But since you already have a good portable machine why not go for the iMac?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here, I looked at the ifixit videos of the iMac,and while I have a nice history of building, and repairing computers, this is one that I'm not willing to try. Maybe once the warranty expires and I need to replace the fusion drive but even then I'm not sure I'll have the intestinal fortitude.

12. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

It can be done, but not easily. I'd suggest buying it with the drive you'll think you'll need.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As much as I'm trying to avoid external drives on my iMac, I'd go that route before opening it up myself - that's just me, but Apple has done a great job at sealing the iMac and making it hard to upgrade it. :(