New iMac is here, need advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robjulo, Jan 25, 2013.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I own a Macbook Pro. New iMac is here.

I intend for this to be the primary Mac for photo management (via Aperture) and iTunes.

My initial question is: should I being installing software such as Aperture, and pixelmator and anything else I've installed on the MBP or should (or even can I) use the migration tool for that.

Second, can anyone recommend a DVD drive that is compatible rather than paying Apple's outlandish price for the "superdrive". I need the DVD to install Microsoft Office 2011, which I already have for the Macbook.

Finally, can I start installing software and migrating my docs, music and videos now and then still use bootcamp in a couple of days when I get my copy of Windows 7, or will that screw things up.

I appreciate the info.

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

I don't like the migration aspect. I prefer to manually copy everything if needed.

Regarding your DVD-drive needs, find the cheapest one you can find on Amazon, and buy that. There's no such thing as a Mac-compatible drive. They all work.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You can add bootcamp partition later - just make sure you backup. Anything can happen when you make another partition.

I personally like fresh install - not big into the migration tool.

4. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

I have no issues with migration if your old system isn't loading QI junk, otherwise setup a new system and manually copy

5. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what happens if I go ahead and re-download a program (ie Aperture) that I have already purchased and then do the migration utility and include programs. Does that screw things up?

6. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Your somewhat ovrthinking things. Go ahead and do migration assistant with you old computer starts in target disk mode. Then setup a new user account and manually copy your info to it .. This way you get your apps and a fresh user account