New iMac is VERY SLOW on first time bootup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidayo83, Jan 19, 2013.

1. davidayo83 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new iMac this evening and am trying to get through the initial setup but this thing is TERRIBLY slow. I'm wondering if I purchased a bad one or something. When im going through the set up menue (selecting country and connecting to internet), i click continue and it sits there for 30 seconds before it actually registered that I clicked continue.

When i first plugged in the power cord and it started up...it sat at the white boot up screen (with apple logo and loading wheel) for 15 minutes before it finally started the setup process.

Is this normal or did I get a DOA computer?

2. laryenhilllvr macrumors regular

i had a similar experience when i bought a mbp last november and within a month it crashed. get it checked out asap!

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

That sounds very abnormal. Try resetting the SMC or PRAM. Can you give us your system spec?

4. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

I'd take it back straightaway and swap it. I wouldn't waste any more time setting up a mac that had these problems from the outset.

It's clearly got a problem. I wouldn't want to be messing with resetting anything on something straight out if the box.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

definitely the way to go. you shouldn't have to do this much troubleshooting with a new machine.

6. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

take it back and show that you are annoyed, you will get it exchanged with some kind of apology item/discount