New iMac issues, is it Mavericks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kbstkbll88, Mar 22, 2014.

1. kbstkbll88 macrumors newbie

So I bought a new iMac. 21.5" 2.7GHz 8gb RAM running Mavericks and I'm having a couple of issues...

For one, my etrade pro platform does not run smoothly on Mavericks. On my old iMac I had this same issue after I updated to Mavericks from snow leopard and I had to revert back because Mavericks was just too slow. That was an older 2009 iMac 24" 2.66GHz with 4gb RAM.

The other issue is now my google chromecast does not run smoothly on this new iMac. When I cast a tab in chrome and turn on my screen saver after like 30 seconds the cast freezes until I get off the screen saver. If I don't turn on the screen saver it runs smoothly with no issues.

On my older iMac that was running snow leapord I never had that issue, chromecast worked perfectly.

So is this a Mavericks issue or what? Can I install snow leapord instead? I already have it on my external hard drive, but I'm not sure if I can install an older OS on a newer machine. Are there any compatability issues?

Lastly will the features of the wireless magic mouse work on the older OS? Scrolling, swiping, etc or is this only compatible with Mavericks?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

if your new Mac shipped with Mavericks installed, you can't install an older OS (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion).

3. kbstkbll88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't? I was able to update to mavericks on my old one and revert back.

Is there any other solution to get rid of Mavericks?

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You could do so because your old Mac originally came with an OS older than Mavericks.

If your new Mac came with Mavericks as original OS, you can't downgrade to a previous OS.

If it came with Mountain Lion installed when you bought it, you can revert to ML.

5. kbstkbll88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that sucks, guess I might have to return this.

Ok one more question, if I were to repair my other iMac could I use that as my primary computer with snow leopard and use the new iMac as a dual monitor? Or does it have to be the same OS for that to work? I've never done this before so not sure if there would be compatability issues.

Also do you think I could solve this issue if I ran boot camp or paralells and just do everything that runs slow on the windows end?

Thanks!

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

This sounds like App Nap, which is designed to save power by slowing down apps which are hidden/not being used.

I don't know whether Chrome works with it as I don't use Chrome anymore but it might be worth right clicking on the Chrome application (in your Applications folder), then choose Get Info. From the info window see if there's an option you can check called "Prevent App Nap" near the top.