New iMac (late 2012) blotching and image retention

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nhanda, May 1, 2013.

1. nhanda macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Today suddenly whilst playing a game, I got a dark line in the middle of the screen that doesn't want to go away. I tried restarting the machine - no go.
    Tried removing and inserting the RAM too, no help.

I then read about blotching and image retention with the late 2012 iMacs and was confirmed the display is faulty.

[​IMG]

Any ideas what could have caused the issue. I have had the iMac for 36 days. Called Apple care and they mentioned Replacement is done only within 30 days however they would call up tomorrow and confirm what is the next steps.

2. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

Bad display most likely is the cause of that or it could be the display cable but either way it will all have to be replaced.

That has nothing to do with blotching or image retention though just purely faulty hardware unlike image retention which is to some degree by design on IPS displays whether we like it or not.

3. nhanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks quazimojo for the reply.
    I will get a call tomorrow from After sales department and know what they intend to do. I am backing up my data now.

4. Mitch619 macrumors newbie

Yeah It seems like a bad display or GPU.

What you're seeing isn't image retention. Image retention is a residual image. That is a full-on line down the middle.

That will get replaced by applecare the second they see that.

5. nhanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a reply from Apple after-sales department and they are processing a replacement of the imac.

So i will be getting a new one hopefully by next week.

6. ranger052 macrumors newbie

Awesome