New imac Leopard Mpeg2 stopped working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by McBobby, Jan 30, 2008.

1. McBobby macrumors newbie

Just bought a new imac 20'' 2.4 duo core 2 g with Leopard.

I have a Sony dcr-sr42 camcorder.

The first day I started my computer imovie etc.. recognized and played the Mpeg2's from the camcorder without difficulty. The next time I tried it wouldn't. In the interval I installed paralels with xp several times as it would crash after I loaded microsoft office and other software.

I also have upgraded to the latest quick time and downloaded imovie06

Somehow in all this my imac no longer recognizes mpeg2 so I think I either lost or damaged the mpeg2 codec that must have come with my computer.

I am unable to download software (mpeg2 codec) from the apple site for free as some posts suggest (Greyed out for some reason)

Is there a way to get the codec or reinstall the original config files from my Leopard install disks without having to do a complete reinstall of everything?

Thanks for the help!

2. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Is this a harddrive/dvd based camcorder? I know for sure that imovie 08 is the only compatible software with these. I have a JVC hard drive camera that uses .MOD files that aren't compatible in quicktime or any ilife applications except for imovie 08. I hate imovie 08 and its not that entirely easy to use interface and lack of everything... So I use imovie HD after I import my clips using imovie 08.