new iMac looses external hard drive each time its restarted?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PicnicTutorials, Jan 11, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

in order to get the external drive to pop back up on the desktop (and in finder) is to unplug the external drives power after each time the iMac is restarted. Is there a way to fix this?

2. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I wonder myself if I "eject" an external, but it's still plugged in, why can't you click on something in Finder to get the external up and running again w/out having to re-plug it in the computer.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can mount the disk again using the Terminal command diskutil. You can read about how to that here.

If you don't want to mess around in Terminal, there is an app in the App Store called Mountain that will do this for you. I have not used the app myself though.

4. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

From your advice...
    I could mount it in terminal, but I downloaded the Mountain app for 1.99 and it works well since it puts an icon up in the taskbar and is much easier to do than using terminal.
    So now I "eject" My Passport disk on the desktop to get it to stop spinning, and then mount it using the Mountain app to see the drive again. Nice! Thanks!

5. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Do you do that just once? Or each time your restart your system?

6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

If you can be more specific about doing what just once with the external???

7. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Well again I'm not getting it. I installed the mountain apps newest version. Mounted the external drive. Restarted my computer and again the external drive is gone. And its not listed as a available drive in the mountain app.

8. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Each time you restart your system do you have to remount the drive with the mountain app?

----------

Well I think I found a good start. Downloading there latest firmware update for the external drive to the mac. But it says I should make a backup of all the data ion it prior. I don't have anywhere to put 1 teribite of info.http://www.wd.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/firmware.asp?id=wdfMB30_Essential&os=MAC

9. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

No...If I have the iMac running with the external (WD My Passport 1tb) plugged in and running, I can eject it, restart the iMac and it shows up again on the desktop and it's running after the restart.

10. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Hmm not me. Did you have to download any software onto the mac for the WD?

11. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Did not.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

WD firmware update lists a fix for the issue that you are having, so it should be a good fix.
    Firmware updates, if disturbed for ANY reason while in progress, can fail disastrously - to the point of making the drive inaccessible.
    Probably won't happen, and you'll have a safe completion - but, absolutely is a primary time to make sure that any files ONLY on that hard drive, and important to you, WILL be backed up somewhere else.
    Or, you can continue to put up with your hard drive dropping off… :D

It's a good excuse to add a second external for secondary backups - not a bad idea, in any case.

13. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I've corrupted my external before trying to defrag it. I can't risk that again. Gues I'll have to wait until i get a new external. Suggestions? Should i get the apple time capsule? Does it work well? Does it work with Time Warner cable?

14. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

See here is my screenshot of mountain app after I have restarted my computer. Its greyed out and there is no available disk/volume/whatever to mount. If it gives no option then what is the point to mountain app anyway? Or am I missing a setting?

Attached Files:

15. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If the drive drops off completely, and is not even visible in Disk Utility as a device, then you still have to do what you already do, which is restart. The better form of that will be to shut down (off) first, so the hardware all will come back on line, without having to do more. That's a bigger headache, to me at any rate.
    And, there's nothing really unusual about losing the drive in the middle of drive maintenance, such as defrag. You may want to avoid doing THAT until you get the firmware updated. The point I am trying to make, is that the firmware (apparently) should fix your problem, probably permanently. I'm thinking that might be a good thing to do... :D

16. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Based on this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5475136?start=0&tstart=0 I am disconnecting my external drive until I get another backup. I have all my kids pics and vids on it since born 9 years ago. Don't want to loose those. Apparently many are saying mavericks corrupted their external drive. Scary. May or may not have anything to do with my problem but they are all complaining of the same issue over there.

PS I do actually have them backed up on phanfare but still.