New iMac - manufacturing defect?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CockyKid, Oct 4, 2011.

1. CockyKid macrumors newbie

Wondering if anyone else has ever seen a slight misalignment at the edge of an iMac. I purchased my 27” iMac from Amazon about a month ago. It was an open box/return but looked like it had never been used. It still had all the stick-on plastic covering it and all accessories were unopened, etc. Anyway I did not notice this until about a week ago – at the upper right edge, the glass just does not line up exactly with the aluminum edge. Also there are two small scratches under the glass that you can see in the picture here. Apologies for the crappy picture but I think you can make out the problem. The arrow at the top is indicating where the scratch under the glass is and the lower arrow points to where the glass is not aligned with the edge. Is this a possible manufacturing defect or did someone perhaps open the iMac and not line it up properly putting it back together?

Thanks for any feedback.

Attached Files:

2. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Send it back, that's been opened by somebody who didn't know what they were doing. Or it's just defective.

3. selfinfliction macrumors newbie

feedback: bet you won't try to save a few dollars next time with an open item online! :D

i kid i kid lol.. that thing is jacked up though

4. Daud macrumors regular

@OP, does it bother you so much when it took it so long to discover it ?
    Maybe the $$ saved are worth it.
    You may end with a new exchange iMac anyway when I read all the horror stories about display discoloring, dark bands at bottom, dust inside the LCD after months use..

I was lucky to get an open box 2010 i7 2.93GHz iMac for $1250 and have no problem with it to date. So it is a lottery.

I would say forget about it..

5. CockyKid thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I didn't notice it for weeks, but now it's all I can see. I just got my RA from Amazon and it's going back. Just cant stand the flaw in this work of art.

Thanks for the advice!

6. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

That is some pretty bad misalignment! I wonder if it was dropped on that corner sometime in it's previous life?