new iMac, many questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siobhan, Sep 2, 2009.

1. siobhan macrumors newbie

Hi, all! I am a 20-year apple/mac user who just came off 6 years on a PC (thank goodness!) but I am having trouble with several little things. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read all of these:

*cursor flies all over the screen at any time at all; no common causality, it just does it

*iCal--can't delete my practice calendars; i highlight them in the list and click delete and get that 'thunk' sound; so far has only happened in iCal--delete key has worked in other apps; BTW, can you change the colors on the calendars--don't like the red and blue i've seen so far

*I understand a DVD icon is to show up on the dock when i insert a DVD; i played a leopard tutorial today and that didn't happen, so i couldn't use controls to go back to hear something repeated, etc.

*transferring files: i have Word documents, iTunes, and photos on a 'clickfree' backup drive that is not Mac compatible--how can i get the stuff off the b/up drive and into my Mac?

I can't thank you enough for helping out this "old newbie". I am lovin' being back on a Mac!

siobhan

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

First of all, welcome back to Macs, I'm sure it's changed a lot, I've been here for just over 2 years and I ain't going back.

Your cursor flies around? what kind of mouse are you using?

to delete your practice calendar use the Command + Delete key

The clickfree should be mac compatible, at least their site says so.

3. siobhan thread starter macrumors newbie

new iMac, many questions

Hi, thanks for the response. Just using the mouse that came with the Mac. Did the command/delete thing---nothing happens. Only clickfrees made in 2009 are Mac compatible--I got mine for Xmas. So.......I'm outta luck on that front. Thanks again for the support.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The issue with the cursor could be the surface that you're moving the mouse on. Is it sitting on a table or a mousepad? Sometimes, if the laser in the mouse reflects off the surface of the table, mousepad, etc., then it will jitter around the screen. Try putting the mouse on something else.

The 'clickfree' backup drive you talked about is just an external drive, it should be compatible with your Mac (as most things are compatible with Macs nowadays). However, it sounds like the software that came on the drive is for Windows. Can you access the files on the drive without having to run the software?