New Imac memory question.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

I just purchased a new 24" aluminium Apple iMac with 1 gig of memory.

Will I notice a big difference in performance if I install another 1 gig of memory andmake it 2 gigs? I seem to get a spinning beach ball sometimes. All I use my cmputer for is internet, email, and word processing. I also use iDVD sometimes.

What memory is the best and most stable for Apple Imac computers? I really do not want to order online. I would rather go to an Apple Store, Best Buy, etc. I don't want to buy junk.

Also, I am new to computers.... Is it easy to install memory in these new Imacs or should I take it somewhere and pay them to install it? Someone told me it was easy.

Please advise.....

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Look in Activity Monitor on the System Memory tab. If you have very little green and blue left when you are doing lots of things like iDVD then you will see an improvement with 2GB. Installing is very easy. Underneath the iMac is the only screw and that is used to access the memory. Don't buy from Apple as it is WAY overpriced. Any reputably retailer will be cheaper and if you are nervous, just don't buy the absolute lowest priced (but don't buy the highest either).