Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw3571

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
just picked up a new iMac, am I better to
Migrate the data from my old iMac or do a fresh install? Also, I have boot camp on my old machine and I don't want it on my new machine, will that be an issue if I migrate the info from my old one?

Bob418

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Singapore
I normally only transfer user data to new Mac, with Time Machine backup. For apps I use, I always reinstall again. This process won't take too much time but also keep the new Mac relatively clean.

If you need to install Homebrew for development purpose, you need to make sure /usr/local folder is clean. It's the only issue I encountered in my migration to new iMac during the weekend.

Reactions: driftless

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I always setup fresh and then just copy over any specific files/folders I need. For me, part of the experience of getting a new computer is setting it up fresh. Plus it helps ensure that any software issues you may have been encountering before are removed by doing a fresh install of all the apps again.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
just picked up a new iMac, am I better to
Migrate the data from my old iMac or do a fresh install?

As with most everything else in here, there are differing opinions. I used Migration Assistant on my latest iMac and it got the job done quite quickly and effectively

Also, I have boot camp on my old machine and I don't want it on my new machine, will that be an issue if I migrate the info from my old one?

No issue at all.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
With a new Mac, even during "migration", the OS, System files, and Apple apps will always be "fresh" (the new copies on the new drive).
Old Apple apps don't get migrated.

Insofar as non-Apple apps go, if they were working "as intended" on the old Mac, I'd migrate them and see how well they work on the new one. If they -don't- work, then it's time to trash them and do a "new install".

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Also, I have boot camp on my old machine and I don't want it on my new machine, will that be an issue if I migrate the info from my old one?

I used Migration Assistant many times and never had any issues. If things are working properly on your existing Mac, odds are a migration will work just fine.

MA will not bring over Bootcamp/Windows.

Reactions: SaSaSushi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.