New iMac, Minecraft artifacts. Problem?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The General, Jan 5, 2011.

1. The General macrumors 601

Why does Minecraft look like this on my iMac? Is my video card messed up or something?

[​IMG]

It all flickers and changes as I move and look around. And it's not the mods, it did this stock, before I install the MrMMods.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have this same issue on my Mac Pro. It's not there on my Windows machine. Switching graphics from Fancy to... whatever the other option is (fast?) gets rid of them for me but of course the game looks a little worse... no transparency in tree leaves for one.

3. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah, I just tried it in Windows 7 and it looks fine. Seems to run at twice the framerate as well. What kind of video card is in your Mac Pro? I wonder if the 10.6.6 update fixed it in OS X? Have you tried? I'm going to be in Windows all day otherwise I'd just test it myself. :eek:

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have a 3870 or 4870 in my Mac Pro. Can't recall. I have two 5870's in my Windows machine... I'm too lazy to check on the Mac side... most of my time is spent in Windows 7 these days (shhhh don't tell the other mods!).

5. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Aight, well I just tried it on 10.6.6 and it has the same problem. I hate this.

6. schulmaster macrumors member

This is a tale as old as time. OSX is not a gaming OS, and consequently Macs aren't gaming machines. 9.9/10 a game will run better in Windows than OSX, if it even as an OSX version. Either use Bootcamp, or buy a way cheaper PC rig for gaming. OSX will just get you to worry your hardware is faulty.

7. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Is there such thing as a gaming OS? :eek:

There are two problems faced.

A) Apple's graphics drivers run the gambit from "really really bad" to "kinda OK". Steam's release seems to have gone a long way towards remedying this cf Snow Leopard Graphics Update

b) Mac gamers are in such a minority that most devs just don't have the resources to spend time perfecting their games on the platform.

8. The General thread starter macrumors 601

No.

9. VikomMedia macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump this old post but I've also been experiencing this problem ever since i purchased my 27 inch mac, It has the top "notch" graphics card so i'm guessing after reading this thread that its not the graphics card but the drivers/software. In my case it happens on fancy and fast just less on fast. any one have solutions?

10. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

It's minecraft, not crysis.

11. Cursed macrumors member

I have this same issue on mine running Lion. The game also plays reasonably well sometimes, but other times it's unplayable even on the minimum settings. I haven't tried it out under Windows yet and I'm not sure if it's a software problem or just my HD2400 not being up to the job.