New iMac - need external drive recomendation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by belarocks, Aug 22, 2015.

1. belarocks macrumors newbie

hello - just bout a new iMac (27" Retina) - need recomemdation for an external (3 GB) drive hooked up to my new iMac to serve our whole house system for iTunes (movies & TV). Maybe a raid that duplicates the primary? The location will be in kitchen- so noise is a consideration - thanks in advance for the help

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

You have two main options -- one is a cheap external 3Tb or so drive over USB3, which will be ok for occasional storage or backup. I have one of these as a secondary backup device.

But for more speed and reliability, I wanted a "primary" external drive and eventually settled on the LaCie 2-big Thunberbolt 2. There are options from 6Tb to 12Tb I believe. I chose the 8Tb (which when arranged for security has 4Tb of available space). It's exactly what I wanted, small and tidy, fast and (so far) reliable.

Surprisingly, it was significantly cheaper to order it from the Apple store here than to buy it online at one of the many computer retailers.

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I'd recommend this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/METB7DH6.0T/

4. Rab Simpson macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

5. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

The kitchen seems like a funny place to put a sound system. I will make the leap to think that you are putting a computer in the kitchen but your iTunes is more a house wide thing with Apple AirPlay on each of locations. If that is the case, then another option that you can look into is instead of going with a DAS hooked up through USB3 or Thunderbolt, you could do a NAS drive located anywhere inside the house that not only can support your music, but also gives you storage for any other computer inside the house as well. Look at some of the options with Synology.

6. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I have a 3TB WD MyCloud drive that I connect to my Airport Extreme using ethernet. It's quiet. I've had it about a year and a half. I've had no difficulties with it. It can be setup to wirelessly connect with any device on your network.