New imac no longer works with ps3

Discussion in 'iMac' started by igoodso, May 3, 2011.

1. igoodso macrumors member

it seems to have no target display mode anymore

bad news:(

2. GeekPill macrumors member

Just buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-C...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304436094&sr=1-1-fkmr0 if you like playing your PS3 on your iMac. Also get EyeTV from Elgato (Software and most likely the best in the world).

Or using an old screen.

Some think its down to the little hack Apple used for the 2010 iMac and its mini DisplayPort cant be used with the Thunderbolt port. Maybe in time 3rd parties will be able to hack the system to reactivate the Display Only part.

3. blendermf macrumors member

blendermf

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/03...option-display-connectivity-boot-camp-update/

(not sure if that includes the 21.5 inch, only mentions 27")

4. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

yes it does who told you it does not?

5. blendermf macrumors member

blendermf

People were jumping to conclusions because it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the tech specs.
    (by people, I mean TUAW, which then spread)

6. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Do you think a HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter will work?

7. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

thunderbolt is just the name .... its still essentially a minidisplayport .. you'd use your kanex xd or whatever the same way

8. igoodso thread starter macrumors member

sorry

someone told me there was no target display mode

relief:D

9. GeekPill macrumors member

All you can do is to test it out. Sometimes manufactures left information out on the Spec page. Or maybe Apple wants you to buy a Cinema Screen. lol

10. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

I had an online chat on the apple store page .. they confirmed to me that you can connect a games console to the thunderbolt port the same way as before .. thunderbolt is a hybrid port - video+data .. does whatever you connect to it.

11. foodle macrumors 6502

No, Thunderbolt is not just a name. The port electronics are different. They are partially backward compatible, but not fully.

Target Display Mode on the new iMacs only works if you are driving it from another Thunderbolt source. The old mini-displayport sources will not work to drive the new iMacs. The 3rd party DVI to mini-DP adapters will not work with the new iMacs.

Edit: Hmmm, there seems to be some conflicting info about this. TUAW is reporting what I stated above:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/03/target-display-mode-missing-in-action-on-new-imacs/

12. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Updates from Tuaw:

Not sure if this is the definitive answer or if it's something that could change with a firmware update.

13. Chris5488 macrumors regular

Hmmm then I do hope Kanex or Atlona or... anyone will release an HDMI-to-Thunderbolt converter soon! Which SHOULD be able to transmit 1080p then because of the required Intel Thunderbolt chip which could do this.

Thunderbolt is also able to transmit power, so the optional power cable we see today for those converters could disappear!
    That would be the perfect converter: no power cable and 1080p... come on bring it to me, and not for 150 but 100 dollars max please :D

14. KrrSplat macrumors member

NO! Purchasing an HDPVR will NOT enable you to play your PS3/360 on your iMac in target display mode. The HDPVR is a video encoder device for recording source material while passing the original video to your TV with no lag what so ever. The HDPVR does not use HDMI, only RCA and Component input. The HDPVR only supports 720p and below resolutions. Not only that but the Elgato software you mentioned doesnt work well at all with the HDPVR. I have an HDPVR and i would like to hook up my 360 to my iMac, but i have to figure out how to get component in on my iMac.

15. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

16. glitch44 macrumors 65816