New iMac not an all-in-one?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 8CoreWhore, Jun 14, 2012.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

So, the Macs that were not discussed at this WWDC were the 3 desktops: The Mac Mini, the iMac, and the Mac Pro.

2 of these rely on unattached displays. Why not have a line of desktops separate from displays? Have 2 perfect sized Retina Displays, and 3 different sized boxes covering the above spectrum.

And if they do TVs, even larger ones as well.

That HDMI port on the newest MBP-R caught my eye. They are up to something. It could be their television strategy merges with their displays. Why should they be separate?

I'm just speculating for fun, don't have a cow. :p:apple:

Any ideas????

2. seniorchang macrumors member

I don't think apple will drop the all-in-one iMac. That's the reason people are buying it, because it's all-in-one.

3. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

I like the present form factor but I do not like the 'm' components they use but I understand using them is necessary so they can make max profit (might have something to do with heat too :D )

Have a cow man :apple:

4. Gloops macrumors member

They should do something like the G4 iMac, with an interchangeable display. Need a new/bigger/smaller screen? Change it around, not the whole computer.

If the screen was attached to an anglepoise style arm it would mean you could adjust the hight position and angle for comfort, not have to raise or lower your desk. Even better, if it were a tablet display, you could angle it down to drawing board level and draw/write on it with an 'iStylus'.

5. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I wondered aloud about that possibility in another thread. I wonder if the MacPro updates next year will involve some form of amalgamation with the other desktop product lines. Ironically, I think it might simplify things. I know the iMac is supposedly one display, one power cord. But, with the firewire drive and sundry usb devices (some of which have to be to hand), there's still plenty of spaghetti hanging out of mine.

6. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

A mid-range box has long been speculated to get away from all the 'm' GPU headwinds, but I don't think that's the Apple way as I am sure they will think it will confuse the consumer to give her more choice! Besides, the range is moving towards laptops so why would they introduce another range in what they see is a declining market anyway. The mac mini is the lowest margin Mac anyway so even less reason to tinker with the range

7. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

Yea, that's why I don't really see it happening either.

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

This makes me sad :(

...when you pry it from my cold, dead hands...par'ner.

9. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Why not revamp the Mac mini for this? How much bigger would the device have to be to fit a good video card in? I think the sacrifice for a little bit bigger machine for the power would be worth it.

10. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

I wouldn't like if they dropped the all-in-one form factor. That was one of the reasons I bought my iMac. And I planned on upgrading soon when the new one comes if it is all-in-one factor still. It is a great form factor. Only thing I have is like the other poster said is the "m" items in it.

11. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

See, I always disagree with the new Mac Mini, yes it looks nicer, yes it's better designed and engineered and yes, it's a more technically compact and powerful device... however, it actually takes up *more* space as it's wider, in a display cabinet, tv stand, computer desk, you are very rarely at a loss for vertical space, but horizontal space is a premium!

In my instance, the mini is only ever used as a media server, in our living room we have a television stand that perfectly holds a 52" screen, and beneath it there is a slot, the perfect length for a long bar speaker system, with a mac mini on one side of it, and an IoMega MiniMax 2tb HDD on the other side keeping everything centred.

Call me fickle, hell, I AM fickle, but the only reason I've not upgraded from the old form factor Mini is because I don't have the horizontal space for it!

My point is, bring back the old dimensions, use the loss of the ODD for inserting a decent video card.

12. Roller macrumors 68020

I have six cables hooked up to my iMac, so I know what you mean. But the integrated display that made the original iMac so popular still appeals to many people. And I guess that the trend to more wireless connectivity will reduce the need for cables.

Personally, I would prefer a mini-tower Mac with upgradeable drives, RAM, and video card. It suppose that may be part of the Mac Pro redo for 2013, essentially moving the Mac Pro toward the consumer side.

13. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Airplay and Mirroring work so good.. what if they put AppleTVs in all Displays, then came out with a line of Cube style Macs that can go anywhere... out in the open and Gorgeous, or hidden..