New iMac not coming until long after iPad 3 release?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The reason I'm thinking this will be the case as we have not heard any rumors.

Do you guys think this is the case?

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Just because you haven't heard any rumors, doesn't mean that it won't come out before, it also doesn't guarantee that it they won't wait till the iPad3.

Most of the rumors that get leaked are about new CPU's, GPU's, Ect.. that the iMac will take anvatage of. Currently, there doesn't seem to be anything released yet that would scream "NEW iMac!"

But, given Apple's yearly release cycle on the iMac, I bet you'll see a release by May at the latest.

Just wait for Intel to start shipping Ivy Bridge to the masses and that is when the true countdown will begin.

3. DancesWithSmurf macrumors newbie

Just wait for CES in January and then when the Ivy Bridge has a release expect to see a release of the iMac around there

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yeah, there's no reason for them to release new iMacs until Ivy Bridge. Until those chips are available you won't see them.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yea I want to see what the IvyBridge brings for both the iMac and MBPs.

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

My guess is the same, the new iPad will be released before the iMac is updated. I am looking to "refresh" everything in '12 - iPad, iPhone, MBA (w/ 8GB) & iMac.

7. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

I'd love to do the same, but i'd feel a lot lighter :(
    I'd guess the imacs will come in april or may, and the ipad in march again?
    Pure speculation for the next few months.

8. NamanVarsani macrumors newbie

Hello guys, Im new to the forum

I am looking to jump the river and join the apple band wagon. I currently am a PC user but I am definitely going to the imac and the apple OS. After reading this and a few threads, it seams next year we may see a new Imac. Is it worth me waiting only if the new processor has gains in less power consumption( not important) and slight better graphics processing ability????

NV

9. v654321, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

v654321 macrumors member

It all depends on what you're planning to do with the system. If you are doing processor intensive tasks, you may be interested in waiting. If you don't and want one now, by all means go ahead and buy one.

Every machine that has been built in the last 2 years will serve the needs from any person that does the typical tasks on a computer. In fact, even if you are a power user, every computer will still serve your needs, but then just a little bit slower.

If you care about the latest and greatest, you might as well wait a few months. This way you get the newest specs and the possible iMac redesign. However, the current line up is by no means slow (on the contrary) and their iconic design is timeless. I'm sure that the current one will still be equally beautiful and comparably as the new one, regardless of a possible redesign or specs.

10. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

I've been saving those penny's for a new iMac for about 6 months now, I have the i7 macbook pro, and I love it! So i'm going to take the plunge and but an iMac soon, I have about £1100 saved at the moment, a few more weeks and i'm hoping to have about £1600 ish.....
    I keep looking on the refurb store to se if anything cheeper pop's up!

Exciting times! Cant wait to get my hands on one! 27" I think...

Jordan

11. NamanVarsani macrumors newbie

Im INTENDING to use it for video editing (premier) Photoshop etc, I currently do a bit on my PC but looking to get more into it and be more creative.

Guess I should wait for the new model, hope is comes out sooner rather than later because its hard waiting for it!!

12. foidulus macrumors 6502a

My guess is that the new iMacs may be delayed even further due to the HD supply crunch. Apple knows that new models always cause a huge surge in demand, a surge that they may not be able to meet right now. I think they would rather just stay quiet by keeping the old model around a little longer than intended rather than release a new model and have it almost immediately sell out causing a lot of frustration among consumers.....

13. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

If you need an iMac now, by no means is the i7 @ 3.4GHz slow. I would go as far to say that that kind of power could last a few years through editing, because 1080P seems to be the standard for most free-lance/smaller video work. Even if you needed to edit 4K footage, the processor could still handle it fairly well, the only limitation would be your harddrive.

Basically, if you need to make money now and it's crucial that you get an updated editing rig, then the 27" high end model should do the trick perfectly. But if you like editing as a hobby or it isn't your main income, then I would wait.

I am still working on the first generation 27" iMac with an i5 @ 2.66GHz and I am still fairly satisfied with the performance when editing in CS5. The two main reason why I will be upgrading to Ivy Bridge is one, I am simply an enthusiast and two, I actually could benefit from the performance upgrade.

Hope you make the choice that works best for you at the moment!

14. jouster macrumors 65816

Why not just get a cheap external monitor for your i7 MBP? What will the iMac bring over that config?

15. NamanVarsani macrumors newbie

thanks for your advice, you've pretty much answered my question. I think i will wait, it more of a hobby than a income but it means i have to do with my really slow pc for the moment to build up some skills/experience

only been a few days on this forum and you guys have been really helpful

16. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Of course, glad we could help!

17. Popis1991 macrumors member

Is it worth to wait for the new iMac if u plan to use it for gaming?