New iMac - Not detecting Wireless-N network

Discussion in 'iMac' started by usseryt, Jan 19, 2012.

1. usseryt macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just picked up my first Mac. It is the base model 27".

I'm enjoying the experience so far, except for some wireless issues I'm having.

The iMac does not see my wireless-N network, only my 2.4Ghz G network. Also, when it comes out of sleep-mode, it refuses to reconnect to the G network unless I delete and recreate the profile. I have 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, 3 PCs, PS3, and Xbox 360 connected to the same wireless network with no issues.

I've searched around the web for these issues and have only come across discussion about my 2nd issue (refusing to reconnect). I cannot find anything on my first (not detecting N network).

I'm using a Netgear WNDR3700 and have the following configs for my N (5Ghz) network:
    Broadcast Enabled
    SSID Set
    Channel 153
    Mode - Up to 300Mbps
    WPA/WPA2 (tried both)

Any help with the wireless would be greatly appreciated.

If I left anything out, please let me know.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Try a different channel.....Some of the Apple support forums have similar issues with this router....It's not a fault with your iMac.

3. usseryt thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried every channel. The iMac still cannot see it.

I've got an iPad 2 and Windows 7 laptop that I just tried with all the channels. They had no issues.

4. Bioshox macrumors newbie

Bioshox

That's a strange one, have a look at resetting your Router completely, check it has the latest firmware etc, and if that doesn't work, try contacting the make of your router, they may have seen this problem before and it could be a simple fix!

Hope that helps.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I agree...I have to say I'm not a big fan of Netgear either just my opinion....See if you can grab another rooter to test the theory!

6. usseryt, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

usseryt thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the router firmware, it is up to date. I also did a complete reset/restore to default settings, nothing.

The specific model router I'm using is pretty popular and does really well according to the research I did before purchasing it. Maybe I'm a horrible researcher? :confused:

I'm finding it hard to believe that it's not something iMac/Lion/Driver related. Like I said earlier, this is the only device out of all my devices (and I have quite a few on my network) that can't see the N network. To test it even further, I had my brother-in-law bring over his MacBook Pro (2011) and it had no issues seeing my network and connecting.

I've seen some walkthroughs on downgrading the drivers, so I may give that a shot. I would rather avoid this option though.

Even though I haven't figured this out yet, I really appreciate the responses thus far!

7. Bioshox macrumors newbie

Bioshox

Well before doing anything drastic that may or may not damage your Router or damage your Mac, try their support.

8. usseryt thread starter macrumors newbie

I attempted to contact Netgear but was given this:
    I'm definitely over 90 days.

I searched through their help topics as well as through forums related to Netgear to find nothing referring to the iMac having issues specifically with this model router.

Next up is Apple I guess. However, I do not believe anything will come of it from what I've seen others posting of their experiences (pertaining to this issue).

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Apart from hitting his computer or router in frustration, what possible damage could he do by playing around with settings?

OP, just make sure you have a back up of your HDD before mucking about.

10. Bioshox macrumors newbie

Bioshox

With the router, you could indeed change some settings that he might not have a record of, and be an absolute pain to retrieve them from the ISP.

11. usseryt thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the advice. I've backups of both my router and mac. :D

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

True, but that's not actually damaging your router then.

13. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

not that it helps you much, i have the same router, and my iMac has a solid connection on both the 5G band and standard band

14. usseryt thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update for anyone that happens along this post in the future.

I ended up giving up for the night. I shut down the computer and restarted my router for the hell of it. I then went to bed.

When I woke up in the morning and turned on my iMac, it immediately discovered the wireless-n that it couldn't see the night before.

I haven't had any problems since. I didn't figure out what it was and I have no idea why it happened. It just works now. Very strange.

I know this doesn't really help anyone who was looking for it, but I didn't want to leave them empty handed as well.

I appreciate the assistance I received. Hopefully soon I'll be able to provide the same. I just need to figure out this whole Mac thing ;)