New iMac not starting up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Drask, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Drask macrumors regular

Hey guys, I bought a new iMac 2 weeks ago, today i tried to faster the magic mouse speed and did some youtube video where a guy clicked on the terminal : defaults write com.apple.scaling 8.0 (not sure if it has something to do thought) 10 minutes after that my computer got frozen and I restated it, but It wouldn't boot. Instead a white screen with a folder and a question mark is blinking.

Any help?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Try booting up while holding the Option key. What happens then?

3. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

It says "choose a network" but id doesn't show anything else

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Then your hard drive is not bootable. You may need to just do an Archive and Install, which won't destroy your data.

5. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Mind if I ask How? I've been trying what simba told but but no luck so far :( Btw when I manually put my network it does nothing so I'm stuck there

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Which OS are you running? Do you have the restore discs that came with your Mac?

7. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Lion 10.7.3 , yes I hae the disk

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Lion didn't make a Recovery HD on your hard drive for you?

If not, boot to the disk and Reinstall Lion.

9. simsaladimbamba

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Perhaps the drive died. Not very likely on a new system, but entirely possible.

11. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure, It wouldnt matter anyways since I updated to Lion when I got the iMac from day 1. I don't mind if I lose my data, i didn't have much anyway.

I'm currently doing that with the disk, Ill let you know what happens.

----------

The computer came with Snow Leopard, but I upgraded to Lion.

Im currently trying to install it, but when it gives me the option to select the disk where i want it, it doesnt show any. :confused:

12. simsaladimbamba

If you use Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to install, then only a Clean Install will work.
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

----------

Open Disk Utility and see, if your HDD shows up there:

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

What Mac did you get exactly? Is it a 2011 model or earlier? It is used from your description, but am not sure.

13. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

2011, yes. And no, it doesnt show in dis utility, the only one it shows is the optical dvd/ Mac OS x Intall dvd

14. simsaladimbamba

Do you have (or anyone you know) another Mac with Firewire and a Firewire cable to start the iMac in Target Disk Mode?

It seems, the HDD is shot, which can happen, to new and old HDDs alike. As you still have a warranty, you can let Apple take care of this, if it is a hardware defect.

15. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Nope I don't have any friends with macs, and yea apple can take care, but it's to damn heavy I wouldn't want to take it back again lol. Thanks for your replys anyways, looks like I'll be taking it back, wouldn't want this to happen often, anywaysm do you think it has something to do with what I wrote in the console?

16. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Often times, hard drives just fail. Just like getting a bad grape in a bunch, it's going to happen.

17. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

It's just bugging me the fact that it had worked perfectly for 2 week, and it failed 5 minutes after I typed that in the console.

18. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, Just letting you guys know, I'm back from the app store with a new iMac, looks like the HDD crashed or something, well strangly enough I got a diferent one, (the sameone but with Lion and no bootable CDs).

Thanks for your help!