New iMac now need wireless printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jtmav, Feb 10, 2014.

1. jtmav macrumors member

I am upgrading our iMac this week with a new 21.5 model and I am in the market for a new wireless AIO printer. I think I have narrowed the choice to:

Canon PIXMA MX 922
    HP Office jet Pro 8600 plus

I did a search through the forums and came up with some help but
    I would appreciate any additional feedback with these or any other suggestions.

Typical family use, no heavy printing, I have a dedicated 4x6 photo printer so unless the new printer does a better job not much in the way of photos, maybe the occasional 8x10.

Thanks for any suggestions,

JTMav
    jtmav is online now Report Post 0 Vote Up Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

2. mneblett macrumors 6502

I've been using an HP 8600 Premium for more than a year -- zero issues. Seems as well built/durable as any of the primarily plastic printers out there, and it has been easier on ink than many of the printers I've had over the last decade. I would buy it again.

FWIW, I have mine connected via ethernet to my network, primarily because it is convenient to do so. It performs just as well on wifi.

3. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

4. mneblett macrumors 6502

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The Canon MX922 has built in support for AirPlay as well.

Then again, thanks to HandyPrint so does my trusty, 7 year old Canon MP960 which is still going strong and serving me well. I'm a big fan of Canon.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah, don't get hung up on AirPrint capability. With Printopia you can print to any printer connected to a Mac on your LAN, even over USB. And send files too. Very handy, and then you aren't stuck with the limited choices in Airprint hardware.

Given a choice, I'd go with Canon over HP every time since Canon seems to upgrade Mac stuff more quickly and completely. But neither of those printers exactly earns rave reviews, but multifunctions usually don't rate as well as dedicated printers or scanners.

7. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Get the HP8600 because when you buy the XL cartridges the page yield is amazing.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do not own either but have a Canon MG5220 and MG5320 and I can personally say they are quality printers. One is a year older, and both offer great print quality. The 5220 is now over two years old and still prints as clean and sharp as the day it was set up. The 5320 is just over one at this point and is doing great.

Granted I do not have the MX922 but the Canon printers I have are great! Also, check if the 922 uses the same ink as the 5200 and 5300 series. We get ours from Amazon and pay about $12.00 a set! That is for new cartridges from a third party though.