new iMac & old OS X - does it bother you?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by in4fun, Sep 28, 2013.

1. in4fun macrumors regular

Some people believe that early adopters of the new iMac get Maverick for free when it comes out in a month or so, but for me it's not really about if it's free or not...

What's really bothering me is the knowledge that everything I set up on my new iMac during the next month or so will eventually be erased a month later for a clean install of Maverick.

So that feeling of decorating a brand new home after you just moved in is kinda spoiled since you know in a couple of weeks you have to take the wallpapers down again and throw the couch on the road.

Oh well....first world problems again :rolleyes:

2. dpace32 macrumors regular

I am in the same boat... would love to buy one now but holding off for Maverick and to see what price the new Mac Pro comes in...

3. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Its not always absolutely necessary to do a clean install when updating the OS, especially with there been a very short space of time from now, till Mavericks comes out. Might save you a fair amount of work just updating the OS, rather than doing a clean install :)

4. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I'm not too bothered

I'm slightly OCD so will use the next few weeks to perfect my required apps and work flow, wipe the slate clean and reset up with the perfect (for me) install & configuration.

I just did this several times over with my iPhone 5, iPad ret to ios7 and then redid it when I got my 5s. Now my iPad and iPhone is in sync and I love that feeling

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I admit to have preferring it come with 10.9 out of the box, but I am not going to bother with a clean install and will just update in place. I've never really noticed a difference between an update and a clean install.

6. i486dx2-66 macrumors newbie

Same here. :(

In my case, it's a machine we will soon be giving to my mother as a gift. So it's not even *my* stuff that would have to be set up again... :(

So what do you do? Give the gift and say "Oh, by the way, I'll be back in a month to erase it - so don't spend too much time setting it up, and by the way things will look and act a bit differently too." :confused: That's hardly the way to let someone enjoy a gift... but we don't necessarily want to wait too much longer either...

[/firstworldproblems] ;)

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just do an upgrade instead. A clean install most likely isn't necessary.

8. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Yeah, I don't get it. Why not just upgrade to 10.9 instead of doing a clean install? This isn't Windows we're dealing with.

9. Serban Suspended

the maveriks will come for free for those who buy/bought a new mac after July i think.

10. jg321 macrumors 6502

This. I know it's not Windows we're talking about, but I'm totally in agreement with the above. I was happy with just resetting the default settings on iOS 7 though, after doing a restore, so I had all my content.

11. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

Doesn't bother me the slightest. I'm new to the Mac world anyway and the current version of OSX works perfectly fine for my needs. Besides, once Maverick is released there is bound to be problems abound so I won't be upgrading immediately anyway. I believe I will receive that update for free since I bought the iMac last month so I'm not in any sort of hurry.

12. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

This.

You're just creating problems for others if you're clean installing. Upgrade and don't waste their time.

13. in4fun thread starter macrumors regular

I can already guarantee you that after Maverick is out the support forums will overflow with people having issues with this and that.

That is perfectly fine since it's always like that when a new OS is introduced and lots of minor bugs need to be ironed out.

But I can already see the standard phrase to any support question:
    "Well, did you do a clean install or upgrade from your old OS?"

And I know it will bother me to no end when I'm trying to fix my own issues that in the back of my head there is still this doubt: "well maybe I wouldn't have this issue if I wasn't so lazy and just did a clean install."

To make 100% sure any problem I'll encounter is not caused by fragments of the old system there is only one way to go - wipe everything clean and install from scratch.

It's not like it never happened before, I still remember Apples fairytale when upgrading to Leopard: "No, you don't need a clean install at all - we designed the system like that so you can just update."
    Well the people who conveniently updated were the ones filling the support forums. Not again my friends ;)

14. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

I would actually rather have ML installed. Generally, you can't roll back to an OS earlier than the one installed on the machine, so if you don't like Mavericks, you can always go back to ML. If you wait until Mavericks is out and iMacs ship with it preinstalled, you won't have that option.

Usually when Apple releases a new version of OS X, recent computer purchasers are eligible for a free upgrade. But with recent OS X upgrades going for only about $30, it's not a big deal to me whether it turns out that I'm eligible or not. I'd rather get the machine with ML preinstalled and worry about Mavericks later.

15. Erphern macrumors 6502

I think I don't understand this thread.

I'm buying hardware and I'm buying media. Where's the hassle in installing an OS?

16. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Easy: don't upgrade or clean install on day one. Wait until the first point release.

"Clean install" is the same answer as "reformat" on the Windows side of things, and is a cheap solution that just brute forces the problem.

(if not having the latest, unreleased OS on a computer bothers you...)

17. in4fun thread starter macrumors regular

I think this is some very good advice and highly recommended....

...but I know myself good enough - when it's out I gotta get my hands on it :D