New iMac optimization [xSlimmer, OS reinstall]

Discussion in 'iMac' started by apparatchik, Sep 7, 2008.

1. apparatchik macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I have a maxxed out 24" iMac on the way (3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, 500 HD)
    and Im wondering what steps could I take upon arrival to achieve the best performance possible going forward... not that I expect it to be somehow slow of course but I guess you catch this may I say silly obsession to squezze as much performance as possible...

I have read that xSlimmer does a pretty neat job removing ppc code, unnecesary laguage files, etc with great results but that they get reversed when you update an application, for example...

So I also read you can reinstall leopard so you uncheck unnecesary components from the get go... however, I was wondering whether every mac (desktop/laptop) come with a specific customization from the factory (energy saving tunning, perhaps the last version of the OS, say 10.5.4) which I might override reinstalling from the generic leopard dvd... thus actually doing counterproductive shitt...

What would you suggest I do? I would only need english/spanish as available languages and would like to know if can also remove the ppc code from the os... save some hdd space, improve snappiness :D, etc...

How about tweaking some intial settings with onyx?

This is my first Mac, thanks for any advice!

I would also have ready an external fw800 so time machine can start backing up from start...

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

If you want you can simply reinstall leopard from scratch with no archiving and skip printer drivers, etc. This just saves HD space though.

I played with XSlimmer and I'm a bit hesitant to use it, a little bit of HD space in exchange for knowing your programs will work as expected is a good tradeoff for me.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I use Monolingual to remove unnecessary stuff. Just removing additional languages saves over 1gb of space on a clean install. It will also remove PPC code if you want, which saves another several hundred mb.