New iMac or MacBook Pro..Decisions Decision

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleSimon, Jun 18, 2011.

1. AppleSimon macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2010
    I wasn't really to sure where to put this thread, so since I already have an iMac I thought I would place it in here..

So my current setup;

Late 2009 27" iMac, Core 2 Duo 3.2GHz, 4GB, 1TB.
    2010 11.6" MacBook Air, 1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB SSD.
    iPad 2.

So my iMac is used as my centralised system for everything, all my data and iTunes etc etc, everything is saved onto here. I also do Photoshop on this to, and have recently started doing Illustrator work.

My Air was used for University last year mainly and all I really do on it is type notes in class and research, but I was there 3-4 days a week so the portability was amazing, but next term I am only there 1 day a week, in the same classroom block so the portability isn't really necessary anymore.

The iPad is where I do all my browsing around the house. If my Air and iPad are next to each other I always pick up the iPad to browse. I also use it when travelling so watching things like movies and listening to music.

So my iMac has currently died and my insurance replacement voucher entitles me to £1400, so this is where I'm stuck....

Do I just get the new 27" iMac and keep my Air?
    Do I get a 15" MacBook Pro, sell the Air, and buy a 27" Apple Cinema Display?
    Do I just get a 15" MacBook Pro?

Decision Decision and I really really don't know! To be honest I am swinging more for the second option as I love having 27" to work and have become accustom to it!

Whats the benefits to the new iMac over the 15" MBP?
  2. NutsNGum, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

NutsNGum macrumors 68030

Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Get a refurb 2010 i7 iMac and use target display mode with your air. Best of both worlds. Refurb i7s are £1289 in the online store. Hyper-threading, decent gpu, faster than the new i5 top end model.

Incidentally, how did you find the 11 inch air for uni? I'm looking to decide between the 11 and 13, the 11's screen just looks a little small to me, but I don't know.
  3. AppleSimon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2010
    The problem is my insurance replacement is only available for Currys/PC World so I wouldn't beable to get a refurb.

The Air was literally amazing for uni. Hardly notice it in my bag. Even writing Word documents was fine for the screen. Im so used to that size screen now though, using a 15" feels slightly wierd.
  4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've got a 15" MBP that I'm currently selling on eBay because I'm moving to the iMac. The Air's something I'd probably pick up when the student loan starts again. I've enjoyed having the 15" because it was convenient at the time I got it - iMacs were still having major screen problems so I jumped ship.

Now that the SB Air's are round the corner, I think I'm gonna head back to big screen and the Air for carrying convenience.

I'd honestly recommend sticking with what you have, even if you have to get it from Currys, the new base iMac i5 is a quad remember, so it's going to batter the previous generation's equivalent in terms of speed.