Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
hey kids

So I'm in the market for a new Mac. I've read some rumors here about new iMacs coming at the end of april or beginning of May. Right now I'm thinking of a new Macbook Pro 17". But now I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting for the new iMacs? Are iMacs usually more powerful than a Macbook Pro (when both are updated)? .. I always thought iMacs were just laptops with big screens, like the guts were all the same.. or am I wrong?

I have always been a desktop/Mac Pro kinda guy, but I just don't need a big tower or desk taking up half the room anymore, I like the portability of a laptop, or the smaller footprint of an iMac .. if I get a Macbook I won't be carrying it around with me, it'll just be sitting on a table all the time. But I think I'd like the option to have it on the coffee table instead of desk if I want... But I worry that the Macbook might be underpowered (and not last as long) as a new iMac.

So, just looking for some opinions... should I just get the Macbook now, or wait a month or so and get a new iMac? Which would be a better and longer-lasting system?

My last Mac Pro (well, G5 tower) lasted me about 6-7 years... Can I expect the same from a Macbook Pro or iMac these days?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What is it going to be used for? This is the most important question. New MBPs are very powerful and unless you do something that can actually take advantage of faster hardware, then MBP should be adequate.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The graphics processors are the same as laptops.

The hard disk drives are desktop drives (faster).

The optical drive is the same as the laptops.

The CPUs in the 27" models are desktop CPUs (faster, although iMac refresh is needed at the moment, apparently)

The displays are IPS which are superior to laptops for viewing angle and brightness. Of course they are larger as well.

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
it's gonna be my general use computer.. email, web, music, photos, and I'll be doing some web design here and there and an occasional game.. nothing like HD video editing or anything like that.

Usually when it's time to get a new computer I'll buy at or close to top of the line, so that it'll last me longer.. instead of going cheaper and upgrading more often. so I want a great system now, and one that will still be good 3 years from now.

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Decided on the Macbook Pro :) Just got it, pretty sweet so far and a great upgrade from my dual 2Ghz G5 tower from 7 years ago :) Just didn't want to wait for the new iMacs and I wanted the portablitiyness of a laptop anyway.

titatom

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Montréal, QC
Decided on the Macbook Pro :) Just got it, pretty sweet so far and a great upgrade from my dual 2Ghz G5 tower from 7 years ago :) Just didn't want to wait for the new iMacs and I wanted the portablitiyness of a laptop anyway.

Great machine !

You'll have a blast and won't regret it I'm sure !

themac23

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011

Sweet! You can always buy an Apple Cinema Display for it if you need to. I plan to soon but for some reason I think there may be an update to it right along side the new iMac. Maybe Thunderbolt on the ACD???

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
Sweet! You can always buy an Apple Cinema Display for it if you need to. I plan to soon but for some reason I think there may be an update to it right along side the new iMac. Maybe Thunderbolt on the ACD???

Quoted for truth !

I just ordered a MacBook Pro 17 Ultimate 2.3 Ghz, 256 SSD with 8 GB RAM and an ACD 27@ external monitor so I get dual screen setup and an awesome powerful mac I can take with me around my condo.

And I don't have to worry about having an entire dusty computer 1-2" behind the 27@ screen :)

For on the run - I have a MacBook Air 13 Ultimate :)

Necross

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I got the base model 17" with glossy screen. I was going to get the matte screen but when I compared the 2 I liked the glossy better, plus the glass will be easier to keep clean I think. I do have a Samsung 23" HD monitor that I think I'll set up too for when I'm doing design work, but mostly this is just gonna sit on my coffee table for web & email. I forgot to get the display port adapter :( Do I just use the usual mini display port to dvi adapter? or is there something new for Thunderbolt?

I wasn't sure about the trackpad at first but the more I was using it the more I was liking it. But I keep reaching for a mouse out of habit, just so used to desktops...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Do I just use the usual mini display port to dvi adapter? or is there something new for Thunderbolt?

Any current mDP adapter will work with Thunderbolt. Check eBay for cheaper yet good adapters. No need to pay 30 bucks for Apple's when a sub-10$ thingy will do the same.

themac23

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Quoted for truth !

I just ordered a MacBook Pro 17 Ultimate 2.3 Ghz, 256 SSD with 8 GB RAM and an ACD 27@ external monitor so I get dual screen setup and an awesome powerful mac I can take with me around my condo.

And I don't have to worry about having an entire dusty computer 1-2" behind the 27@ screen :)

For on the run - I have a MacBook Air 13 Ultimate :)

I am on the same page. Something about the iMac just turns me off even though I am waiting to buy my ACD until after the iMac is released. I want to see what it can do. :D

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
I got the base model 17" with glossy screen. I was going to get the matte screen but when I compared the 2 I liked the glossy better, plus the glass will be easier to keep clean I think. I do have a Samsung 23" HD monitor that I think I'll set up too for when I'm doing design work, but mostly this is just gonna sit on my coffee table for web & email. I forgot to get the display port adapter :( Do I just use the usual mini display port to dvi adapter? or is there something new for Thunderbolt?

So I guess that means no iMac?

Current MBPs with their improved i7 Sandy Bridge run processor tasks nearly as fast as current MacPros. They are really fast. You will not be disappointed.

Video still lags, in fact it still lags behind current iMacs. Next gen iMacs will make the gap even larger.

http://barefeats.com/mbps03.html

Although the iMacs have used "mobile" GPUs in the past, they have always use near top of the line mobile GPUs. Starting with the early 2009 iMacs and their optional Radeon 4850.

You need a mini display port to DVI for your second monitor. you can buy the whole cable or just the adapter. $5 and up.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=mini+display+port&x=29&y=13

Use a bluetooth mouse if you need a mouse -- or grab a magic trackpad -- my neighbor uses one on his couch in his lap, its pretty sweet.

http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.