New iMac? or New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by admyrick, Jan 31, 2011.

1. admyrick macrumors regular

admyrick

When I get my tax return, I plan to purchase my first Mac. However, I am currently in the dilemma of which product to buy. I have seen numerous posts about the advantages and disadvantages of both. I also have considered the idea of connecting the MBP to an external display. I have seen other suggestions of an iMac with the iPad. I already of the iPad but don't know what to get.
    All I'm looking for is some feedback to help with the decision. Please.

I also plan on taking college courses later this year which is adding to the difficulty of the decision for me

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you need to move it about, MBP (I use a 17" MBP as my primary computer). If you don't, then buy an iMac. Don't really see why the decision is that difficult, TBH

3. admyrick thread starter macrumors regular

admyrick

4. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Yeah, you get much more bang for buck with the iMac. Just decide if you need portability or not

5. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I would wait regardless as both are due for a refresh relatively soon

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It depends on if you want portability or not. If your going to use the mbp at a desk the entire time, you might as well get the imac.

7. MacSignal macrumors regular

Have agree with the other posters that suggest your decision rides on whether or not you need portability. MBP + display is nice and very functional, but you will get more performance for your money with the iMac. Good luck!

8. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

if you play WoW the iMac will greatly benefit you. Honestly, for note taking anyways, an iPad and bluetooth KB would work great if that's your portability needs.

9. MakX macrumors member

It's a difficult trade off. I ended up buying a top end iMac for ~NZ$4000 and I ended up with a Macbook Pro 13" from an insurance replacement. This works good for me since I need something for University but not all that power in a portable machine. Anything that needs big resources I can do on my iMac.

10. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Go with the iMac. Use your iPad for portable needs. If you're missing the keyboard, you could even take the iMac's keyboard with you to use with the iPad.

11. MTMiPower macrumors newbie

iMac, if your going to use stablize meaning you going to use in one sertain place, but the good thing about it that you can use fast, it have more RAM and GB is allot.

Macbook Pro, less RAM and Gigs, but good with traveling. you should buy both just to make sure your satisfide.

purchase one and save some money for the other one later, its your choice either way you still win ;)