new imac or pc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macall75, Nov 11, 2008.

1. macall75 macrumors member

Hi Guys

The last few months have been difficult in deciding on my next new computer, up until last week I really had my head set on a new gaming pc, i was going to get it custom built with latest processor and graphics card, till i went to my local apple store here in ireland, its in belfast now by the way which i think is class, first one in ireland, i went in and looked around, the usual apple store layout, and seen the 24inch iMac for the first time, was really quite shocked at the size of this thing and quality of the screen, it just blew me away, and had now doubts on a new pc, i didnt ask the guy for a demonstration as it was so busy, and now cant wait to go back and see it again, sometimes i hate when you go over to these macs and the comp is just full of programs, people just do not know how to quit a program these days!!
    So the only thing now holding me back from not getting one, is the update, iam afraid of buying one just before xmas and it getting an update at macworld, at present iam a graphic designer, so would mostly be using it for graphics, internet , movies and games, i would like my games to run pretty high spec so Iam hoping for a good video card on next update, whats your recommendations on new cards, i would be hoping for a 9800 or gtx 280, would u be able to put something like that in an imac?
    What is the current imac like for gaming? can it run direct x 10?
    is open gl faster than direct x 10 at the min, I would like to run games like farcry 2, deep space, fallout3 etc..
    Whats the glossy screen like, I hear sometimes it can cause problems like seeing your reflection when screen is dark, I would be having in in a moderate room with lamp on, would this do you think be ok or would the screen be very bright?
    Any suggestions are much appreciated.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you can wait I would. Unless you really need it now it's best to wait, especially since the guts of the iMac will probably get a significant update including a Nvidia chipset.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm not really sure on your other questions, but for the glossy screen... it's all personal preference. I have a 24" iMac with a glossy screen and I love it. I have no problems with glare. It is bright, but you can always dim it down.