New iMac or Power Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcfly27, Aug 16, 2007.

1. mcfly27 macrumors newbie

It's about time to upgrade my set-up. I'm trying to decide if I should by a new iMac with all the bells and whistles it can hold, or a base line Power Mac. If I get the Power Mac I will still have to spend a good bit more to purchase the monitor. I'm thinking it will be about an $800 price difference.

Most of what I do is graphic design and photo editing. I do on occasion record music and video edit, but that's more of a hobby.

I was excited about the new iMac, but I'm not too sure about those glossy monitors. Any designers or photo editors out there run into any problems with them? I hate to buy an all-in-one unit like the iMac and discover that I hate the screen. On the flip side, it has about everything I need at a decent price.

Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

3. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I'd go for the Mac Pro, if thats infact what you meant. All your design and photography programs will fly on the Mac Pro ;). Besides, if you're serious in your design and photography, you probably won't want the glossy screen of the iMac, IMHO. If you can afford a Mac Pro and it doesn't phase the pocket book too much, go for it :)

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It really isn't a good idea to invest in a IBM based Mac, Get yourself the new iMac. It will be running all the latest and greatest. The G4/G5 chips will not be as fun, and will more then likely cause you headaches getting all your software.