New iMac or repair current iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Blue Devil Fan, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Blue Devil Fan macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2015
    I have an iMac (mid 2011) that needs a new logic board. Approx $600 and of course my warranty is out. I like that this machine has a disk drive. A comparable new iMac will cost about $1300 but does not have a disk drive. Debating the cost of a new machine vs repairing the old one. Any pros or cons you wish to share.
  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    Just buy a new one.

The old one isn't worth the repairs (lack of USB 3 and very outdated graphics).

You can always buy a USB SuperDrive.

Ask yourself this: How often you use that SuperDrive anyway?
  3. e93to macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2015
    If you don't find any issues with your iMac performing tasks you demand, then just repair it. Well, at least that's what I would do.
  4. mcpix macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    I'm a big fan of the 2011 iMacs as I use them extensively in my business (I have 5 of them). For 1/2 the price of a new one you get a disc drive, firewire and the ability to easily upgrade memory if needed.

You could also pick up a used one on eBay, but that would be about the same price, so it probably makes more sense to fix your own machine.
  5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    But how often do most people use the FireWire and the SuperDrive?

Besides, the 27" has a user-accessible slot to upgrade RAM.
  6. mcpix macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    I know I'm not the average user, but I use FireWire and the SuperDrive everyday. I'm also assuming since he likes the SuperDrive that the OP also uses his often.

Given the $1300 price point for a new iMac I'm assuming he's looking at a 21.5" iMac which doesn't have a user accessible upgrade slot.
  7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    $600 repair?

I say, get something new.

If you need DVD/CD capabilities, DON'T buy Apple's SuperDrive. Instead, buy a 3rd-party DVD/CD burner, you can get them for $25 and they work fine.

Instead of iMac, consider a new Mac Mini, mid-range model, upgraded with a 1tb fusion drive. Standard RAM is 8gb, or you can order 16gb if you "feel the need"...
  8. matreya macrumors 65816

Nov 14, 2009
    Buy a new one... Spending nearly $600 to repair the old one leaves you with a machine that may very well fail again

With a new machine, you get the opportunity to get AppleCare and extend the warranty to 3 years.

If you need an optical drive, you can get external USB ones rather cheaply.