New iMac or Thunderbolt Display for 13" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wimmer96, Aug 7, 2012.

1. wimmer96 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody!

I don't know what exactly to do. At the moment, my MacBook Pro 13" (2.4 GHz i5, 4GB, IGP 3000, 500GB HDD) is too slow. So either I will buy 16GB RAM, a 256GB SSD and a Thunderbolt Display or just a new iMac. Having two Macs isn't that bad for me so it's no problem to have the iMac. But I don't know which way I should go. Can you recommend me what exactly I should do?

Thanks in advance :apple:

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

Why don't you start by upgrading the RAM to 8 or 16GB (relatively cheap to do) and see how much that improves the speed? Depending on what you're doing, a RAM boost can have a fairly dramatic effect.

I'd find a 256GB SSD drive a bit limiting on a main machine if I was going to be working with video, using BootCamp (partitioning always wastes space) or Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox software (those disc images can get big.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd get the computer. It costs the same and you can use it as a computer instead of just a display.

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I would get the iMac and use that as a display for your MBP. Get a refurbished model hat will work as a TB display and then you can use the extra cash to boost the performance of your MBP. I've found that a clean install will work wonders in addition to more RAM. Try that before buying a SSD. Have fun!

5. rocanlover163 macrumors member

Yea if you have the money I would go with the iMac since you can use it as a computer and monitor when you want to connect the MPB. Upgrading the RAM will also make it perform better. TBD wouldn't do anything to make your computer faster or smoother.

6. wimmer96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks guys! I will buy an iMac and use the MBP on the road and as a test pc.

But should I wait for the new 2012 iMacs? I will use the iMac as my main pc, so for all the work.