New iMac owner, AppleCare questions...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 1080p, Mar 31, 2012.

1. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

So my refurb $999 iMac will be here Monday and I did not buy AppleCare yet.

Do I have the 1st year to decide if I want to buy AppleCare? AppleCare for Mac extends coverage to 3 years? If I add more RAM (seems to be user replaceable) that isn't from Apple, do I void any warranties?

Thanks.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

AppleCare can be purchased within the first year
    AppleCare extends warranty two years (1 year original warranty + 2 additional years - also phone supports for 3 years from purchase date)
    Adding RAM will NOT void warranty

Also if you are in the US - B&H Video is the best place to purchase AppleCare for iMac

3. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68020

1080p

Thanks for quick response!

4. Bear macrumors G3

You have one year from the date on the invoice to purchase and register AppleCare. My suggestion is to get it registered a week or two before the deadline to avoid any complications.

As others have said adding memory is fine.. I presume you would just be adding memory to the empty slots. However, if you do remove the Apple memory, save it as it is needed in certain circumstances for AppleCare service.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

LA computer also has great prices on AppleCare. I just did a comparison between B&H and LA computer AppleCare prices and in some cases B&H was cheaper and in other cases LA computer was cheaper.