New iMac owner----from a PC. HELP!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by offtosleep, Dec 1, 2011.

1. offtosleep macrumors newbie

We just purchased our very first iMac. Its a 2011 i7 with Lion; 256gb ssd and a 3tb HD. Are there any videos or anything I can watch to learn this thing? I've always been a PC guy and I am completely lost.....literally. PLEASE HELP. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS APPRECIATED.

BTW, there is no Apple Store in the area, so classes are out of the question.

2. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

3. jqberry macrumors newbie

believe me, i still look for the start button lol, and i still close every program open, fear of the os crashing (from windows). but OSX is awesome, love it!!

4. traveling guy macrumors newbie

Congratulations!

The I Phone got me sold and I just converted my old Power Spec running Windows XP to a new I Mac. As I business owner I needed to add MS Office and while the new Office for Mac is pretty good, its doesn't function as well as other Mac apps. You would think for $200 they would have things figured out by now as the program has been around for 10 years.

I got the Magic Pad and it will make your browsing experience similar to using an I Phone or I Pad. The mouse that comes with it is very good, but the Magic Pad is just awesome. I also picked up the full size key board today.

The full size key board will make your transition to the Mac easier as it not only makes numbers easier to enter, it also has a larger arrow pad, Home, end, Page Up & Page down keys. and a special delete to the right key.

Enjoy!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make that 22 years. MS Office was released for Macs before it was released for Windows. I use it daily and have been very pleased with its performance. While it doesn't retain the same look and feel as other Mac apps, it does the job for me better than any alternatives available.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

depending on where you are there may also be an apple reseller that offers classes like the apple store does.

7. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I've been an apple user for roughly 4 years, and today i picked up my first iMac, took me about 20mins looking for the power button til i picked up the manual and found it in 5 seconds lol

8. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Ha, I unfortunatly find the power button every time i use my left hand to swivel my monitor to the left or right.

9. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

There are a few books on switching to a Mac as well. I used the Missing Manual series book when I made the switch. It was nice to have a reference for the first couple of weeks when I had a specific question. They also do a Lion book as well.