New iMac owner! One little problem though...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Drewski, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Drewski macrumors regular

Hi all,

The Apple population in our household recently has lost its minority status, as I received my 2011 2.7 i5 27" iMac. As you already know, it is fabulous. I almost can hear my boutique-PC resigning itself to disuse. Anyway, we already had a 13" MBP at home (hers) for about a year and a half, so I was able to get a bit of practice with OSX here and there before I too sent my paycheck to Cupertino. Although I did opt for the one-to-one, I'm familiar enough now with the basics.

Here's my problem: My Galaxy S phone is not recognized on the iMac. This is an issue as I use it for playing podcasts in the car, and I'd rather not keep my hulking PC online (and in the way) just to load up podcasts. The confusing part is that I have used her MBP to manage media on that phone. It has no problem recognizing the memory on my Android-powered Samsung, and I download pictures or upload podcasts and music without a hitch. I plugged in the phone to the iMac last night, and while it charges just fine, the USB "mount" process just doesn't happen. Any ideas? Anyone else have problems mounting a Galaxy/Android phone on the iMac?

And before you suggest it - I'm not buying an iPhone. First of all, that doesn't solve the discrepancy between the two Apples. And second, while I'm sure the iPhones are the greatest devices ever, etc., until I can get one at a US Cellular store, (i.e., with no AT&T or Verizon involvement) then my Samsung will have to suffice.

[​IMG]

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Nicely set. But don't you think that iMac is too tall? I put my iMac on regular study desk, and still I find that iMac a bit too tall. To look the top screen part of my iMac I have to try hard, and kinda makes my neck hurt overtime.

Just feels like when you sit in front row on theater. Do you feel the same?

3. Drewski thread starter macrumors regular

Basher: thanks for the link. There is some interesting stuff there. However, I don't seem to have an issue with the phone. As I mentioned, the MBP (running Snow leopard) has no problem recognizing the phone and exchanging files with it. The new iMac however doesn't recognize it. I can charge the phone through the USB on the back, but that's it. That leads me to believe that there may be an issue with the iMac, hopefully just some setting.

iSay: Yeah, I can see your point, but that picture is a little misleading - weird angle or something. Sitting at this desk, my eyes are at roughly the same height as the 3/4 point of the monitor height, so it's actually pretty good for me. What someone pointed out to me though, was the phony wood veneer look does no justice to the slick electronic sculpture sitting there. Great - now I need furniture to match my tech. :mad: