new imac owner(soon), any tips/advises ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bo-waleed, May 30, 2011.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

i may get the 27'' with i5 3.1 or maybe the i7.
    i already have mbp so it is not my first mac.

first,i want to install windows 7 on bootcamp to play some games (and some future games),how much size you suggest should i portion for windows ?

second,i have some vidoes,sounds and apps which i want to transfer to my imac.

do you think it is better to install windows when i first get my imac before i do something else ? and then transfer apps and videos ?

and finally : can i print documents by connecting wirelessly to another pc (windows 7) which is connected to a printer ?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The space you use is down to what you're going to be putting on the Windows partition. If you're going to be putting lots of videos and programs/games onto it then you're going to need more space than if you were just using it for web browsing or word processing. If you've got a lot of big games or tonnes of videos 100 Gb + would be my recommendation for your Windows partition.

Secondly, it won't matter what order you do what you mentioned, as Windows will be installed on a seperate space on the hard drive which won't affect the files you load on to your OSX partition.

As for you third question, I'm afraid I have no idea. Why not buy a wireless printer that works with both?!

3. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

i will just game on windows, i think i will go with 100 GB

i asked this because it says it is better to backup my data before installing win 7(same as ClamXav)

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

That's cool man, I think in most cases you'll find that they say this to cover their arses in the event that something goes wrong with the install. I had no problems when I did mine, and I think you'll find people that have problems are in the minority, however, if you want to be on the safe side then I'd maybe recommend backing up.