New imac owner.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bo-waleed, Oct 11, 2011.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

i already have MBP (late 2008) with snow leopard.

1.is there a way to burn the osx lion from the new imac and then install it in the MBP ?

2.my imac will be HDD+SSD, how to get the best performance ? where should i put my documents,movies and pictures ?(which hard drive?)

3. are there any thunderbolt devices for connecting ps3 yet ?

2. tears2040 macrumors 6502

1.) No.. if you want it for another computer you will have to buy it + it's very cheap anyways , unlike windows os

2.) Your applications should go on your SSD drive and your files can be stored in the hdd.

3.) No, and when they do become available they will be very expensive 300+ area. Thunderbolt is really for high end professional work where money is really not an issue... At least for now

3. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

i should move the Home folder to the HDD, right ?

the imac is 3.4GHz i7

i heard somewhere here that hyper threading drop some FPS when playing games on win 7

can i just turn off it in win 7 ? (bootcamp)

i want it for mac osx and disable it in win7.

4. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

When play games, the GPU in the imac will be the main performance bottleneck. Especially in FPS where ideally you want to maintain 60fps which the 6970M is not capable of without comprising both image quality and screen resolution.

Disable hyperthreading will not gain any fps in games. Beside you can only disable HT in BIOS, which Apple machines doesn’t have.

The only instance of HT resulting in negative impact on performance I know of was to do with SQL Server performance when the technology was introduced in 2005, but Intel has since fixed that problem.

5. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/1053177-how-well-will-base-21-5-a.html

scroll down and look to the picture.

the 3.7 can run in 125 fps
    the 3.1 can run in 127 fps

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

1) If you had bought Lion for the iMac you would be able to put it on the macbook as you can share downloads between macs from the app store. However since the iMac came with it installed you'll need to download it specifically for the macbook if you want it. Personally, however, I regret upgrading my macbook before buying my iMac. With SL you can still use rosetta if you need it and that's nice to have around. Personally I'd keep the Macbook with SL and have the iMac be running Lion. If you don't want that though, buy it for the macbook.

2) As said above, put OS and applications on the SSD and save all files to the HDD. Files will still load fast enough but apps will be blazing fast.

3) Not yet, unfortunately.

7. modit macrumors 6502