New Imac - Please help an OSX monkey!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smythey, Aug 20, 2007.

1. smythey macrumors regular

Just got new 20" Imac - god its stunning!

Am stumbling my way around OSX, have installed Firefox and got it work, but I have a 2 icons on the desktop of a disk drive with the firefox logo on it, along with a .dmg file. I cant delete these or Firefox stops working. Help?.....

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You need to drag the Firefox application from the opened dmg into your applications folder. Then you can get rid of the 2 things on your desktop.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Double click on the Firefox drive icon, and it'll open up a window – in there will be a Firefox icon. This is the app itself – drag it into your Applications folder, and you can then safely delete the Firefox drive icon and the dmg file from your desktop.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You've not installed FF correctly then.

As the it says when the DMG window is opened, drag the FF icon to your Applications folder and it will be "installed". Then you can unmount the disk image and delete the .dmg file.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The .dmg is a disk image, it is what holds the application. You need to open up the .dmg and then move the application inside to your Applications folder. You can then delete the .dmg

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You have not properly installed Firefox. In the white open the Finder from your dock. Click on the white drive icon in the top half of the left side of the Finder. Drag the icon from there into the Applications folder (in the Finder sidebar) :)

You can then delete the icons from the desktop...

EDIT:

That's what I get for tabbed Macrumoring...

8. smythey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Jaffa Cake - that confused the hell out of me!