New iMac power supply = SMOKE! from video card?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JaySC, Dec 6, 2010.

1. JaySC, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

JaySC macrumors member

So my iMac took a power surge and stopped booting. I believed the problem was the power supply. I ordered the proper power supply replacement from iFixit (my EMC number is 2134, which led me to order a power supply for EMC 2211)) and it came today. The iMac is a 2008 2.4ghz 24", and that is exactly what it says on the package. Just a few minutes ago I installed it, and voila, she booted up! But then, smoke started pouring out from under the display. I immediately disconnected the power and removed the display to find that a piece on a pcb that appears to be the graphics card is burned and smoking. The part, pcb and back side of the display are scorched.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? I could only imagine that this is the wrong power supply and it is over powering the graphics card, but iFixit's website said that this is the right one, and the packaging matches. I hope I haven't burned out the graphics card now, and if so, I'm thinking that it will be on iFixit to replace it. I'm going to send them an email tonight or tomorrow, once I figure out what exactly is going on here.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

[​IMG]
    This is the back of the display.

[​IMG]
    You can see in the center what is burned.

[​IMG]
    Close up.

2. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Being that you took a surge, you could have MANY problems well past the power supply. You need to have that machine properly diagnosed by a qualified technician with the right tools to do so.

Anything you do from here is just a risk of burning something up further. I know you have to be frustrated but I do not see this as an ifixit issue. Even if it were, there are so many factors that go into repairing electronics that they could easily say you created the problem while in the machine.

troutspinner

3. JaySC thread starter macrumors member

TroutSpinner, thanks for the response! The machine was diagnosed by the Apple Store, who told me the problem was definitely (and only) in either the power supply or logic board, but they wanted $100 to further diagnose. They said that they'd install a power supply and if that was the problem, they'd credit that $100 to the repair, otherwise, it would be a logic board replacement. I figured at best I was looking at the $200 quote for a new PSU, and at worst $100 down the drain to find out it was the logic board (not worth repairing). Based on this diagnosis and the boot with new psu, I know that the psu was in fact the problem. Now I'm just wondering what the heck happened that made the new psu burn up my graphics card.

The PSU from iFixit does look different than the one that came out of the machine, but it fits and was labeled as being the correct model. Is there really no chance that I got an incorrect part, or that I got a faulty part that provided improper power?

Thanks again for the words of advice.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Close it up. Make it look brand new. Then take it to the apple store and tell them that it stated smoking for no apparent reason and that you would like a replacement.

5. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Haha I bet you a doube bean and cheese burrito that they won't fall for it!

6. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Their diagnostics was the PSU or the logic board......which happens to include the video. You did not want to spend the extra cash to find out for certain which one or both and you concluded it was the PSU....because if it were the logic board it would not be worth fixing, which was logical and the cheapest route. Unfortunately it was both and not just the PSU. The PSU did not cause the problem, it was just part of the problem.

As much as your position sucks, think of it this way. Had your toaster taken a hit, you would simply spend $29 to get a new one. In comparison the cost is huge but in reality it is the same problem.

Personally, if it was me, I would just go buy a new machine and make sure that I have a reliable surge protection system in place. Now I know I am not the standard by any means so I would suggest looking into your insurance provider as well as your power provider. If you must find someone to blame or someone to fill the bill, these are solutions, although you must be prepared for a lengthy battle. Which is why I am not the standard, I know my time is better suited just paying for a new machine rather than the time it takes to fight the battle.

troutspinner

7. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

The non-ruined iMac peices still have value on eBay.