New iMac- Price points

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TrboMac, Oct 17, 2012.

1. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I've been lurking the forums since August and have been waiting for the new iMacs since then. My current computer (Toshiba lap top, 7+yrs old) is ready to be retired! I almost got a refurb and looked at some off Craigslist but am glad the time is near for the new iMacs.

Question; the current price for the entry level iMac is roughly $1200. Can we expect the new ones at a similar price point? My girlfriend is a teacher, so I can probably get a discount there. How much is that?

My old Toshiba lap top has been holding in there (surprisingly) but I'm greatly overdue for a new computer. Since my computing needs are low and mobility not a factor, I'll be happy w/ the entry level iMac I'm sure.

2. srxtr macrumors 6502a

I'd wait if I were you.

If Apple does indeed release a new iMac next week, current iMacs will go down in price, or you can go with the new ones for the same (or around same?) price as current price.

3. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Being new to Macs I wasn't sure if they tend to keep similar price points when releasing a new version.

I will wait and see. If the price point is only a difference of $1-200 I'll probably go new. Looks like MacMall has lowered them some already.

4. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I don't get why they don't make a $999 version to get a bigger share of the PC market. The cheapest Mac is a $600 mac mini !!!! Which some HP all in ones cost. Apple is only going to be able to charge double for everything for only so long.

5. 435713, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2016

435713 macrumors 6502a

Dem Margins and Steve said it was best this way.

New prices:

21" entry: $1499

21" higher end: $1799

27" entry $1999

27" Steve edition $2999

All Apple management has a lots of money and they think everyone should as well, or they should avoid earning the lower income.

Mostly sarcasm BTW, prices will be the same.

6. Nandifix macrumors 6502

7. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Hope under Cook it goes down. Steve Jobs also said no to a ipad mini and one is coming out next week. Seriously their base model labtop is $999 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am happy that the macbook air 13 base is the same as the pro base. I have a 2010 pro I might upgrade to the air soon.

That is insane !!! When you compare it to other labtops. At the end of the day not everyone is well off and people are dumb and will pick the HP that cost half but will need to be replaced in 2 years.

8. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

9. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Yup, or slightly cheaper in some countries actually. :D

10. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

Thanks for the replies guys, exactly what I was wondering. I can't wait to get a new computer and join the Mac family.

11. bobright macrumors 601

I can't wait either will be a first time Mac owner. :D