Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
So far 2 drives cause the imac pro to crawl. One is newer technologies hub and the other one is older unit.

Blows my mind

ThatSandWyrm

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2017
Indianapolis
So far 2 drives cause the imac pro to crawl. One is newer technologies hub and the other one is older unit.

Blows my mind
Crawl how? Please be more specific.

After the 10.13.4 update, I'm having problems with drives disconnecting (or the system thinking they are) during sleep, and popping up warning notifications upon waking. Even though the drives are clearly mounted right below those notifications when I log in.

I also had to reformat my Time Machine drive, because the system kept throwing up errors every time it tried to backup.

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
I have 2 usb drives. On is an old generic USB 2.0 2.5" spinner and the other one is the newer tech voyager S3. The imac pro is unable to have sustained and appropriate connection with either

Connecting either device causes the OS to slow down and show up the beach ball. PRAM, R-command, memory zap, reinstalling mac os has not helped. Trying different ports has not helped.

Just got off the phone with the apple tech support and things this could be hardware issue. We'll see, going to see genii in a bit locally.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
i have a couple of newer USB 3.0 HDDs as well as a USB-C connected USB-3.1 external SSD and have had no problems with any of them.

One of the HDDs (a Hitachi Touro) WOULD give me problems on my 2012 iMac, it would connect initially at USB 3.0 speeds and then drop to USB 2.0 speeds some time after the iMac would sleep. I hated it. Seems to work fine now with the iMac Pro although I don't have it hooked up 24x7 like I do my newer WD external USB drive, so I have fewer data points.

In either case, I didn't have massive slowdowns caused by the external drives. I WOULD get some slowdowns (but not horrible, just enough to mess with graphical games) if my Touro would get accessed by Time Machine while I was gaming, but only on my old 2012 iMac. The iMac Pro is handling USB i/o great.

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
it must be this one computer so I am getting it exchanged by the dealer. What really blew me away and not in a good way is that apple store had it for 3 days and did nothing to it. They were waiting to hear from a senior technician or something.

I guess it all makes sense that apple simply doesn't sell enough imac pros to make it a priority.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Could be bad drivers/OSX support. Does other USB drives also slow down your iMac Pro, or just these? Try bringing your USB hard drives to the Mac Store, if they have an iMac Pro on display there, and see if it's a general issue.

The drivers/software for iMac Pro still have some bugs, which leads to some people thinking there's some hardware issue with their iMac Pros, when it's not the case. It would try this, before going through the process of getting a new unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
I did bring my hard drives to apple store. I did ask the apple store technicians to test my imac pro w other hard drives. They refused.

They don't do anything that is not protocol. They did say there must be something wrong w yours though.

What a pain.

ThatSandWyrm

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2017
Indianapolis
Could be bad drivers/OSX support. Does other USB drives also slow down your iMac Pro, or just these? Try bringing your USB hard drives to the Mac Store, if they have an iMac Pro on display there, and see if it's a general issue.

The drivers/software for iMac Pro still have some bugs, which leads to some people thinking there's some hardware issue with their iMac Pros, when it's not the case. It would try this, before going through the process of getting a new unit.
Except that software issues can cause permanent hardware damage. Such as heating up the CPU for extended periods while the fans are off.
[doublepost=1524158998][/doublepost]
I did bring my hard drives to apple store. I did ask the apple store technicians to test my imac pro w other hard drives. They refused.

They don't do anything that is not protocol. They did say there must be something wrong w yours though.

What a pain.
Must be the fumes from the silly trees they have in the store now. ;)

Seriously though, WTF happened to Apple's excellent customer service? I remember my 17" MBP taking an end-over-end tumble down some stairs in 2010. It was out-of-warranty, but they gladly fixed it anyway (3 days). Plus the final bill was only half what they'd quoted me despite the fact that they'd obviously cloned my HD into a higher-spec refurbished model.

Reactions: Mac32

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
it must be this one computer so I am getting it exchanged by the dealer...

Is this a base model iMP? If not I'd be interested in how Apple exchanged it since no store stocks Configure To Order iMac Pros.

My 10-core iMP developed a problem they couldn't repair in the store, and it takes at least a month to get a replacement.

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
I bought the base model and apple store refused to replace because "i didn't buy it from them". The things they say nowadays but whatever. This is a free market and fully aware I still buy into it.
[doublepost=1524165462][/doublepost]
Seriously though, WTF happened to Apple's excellent customer service? I remember my 17" MBP taking an end-over-end tumble down some stairs in 2010. It was out-of-warranty, but they gladly fixed it anyway (3 days). Plus the final bill was only half what they'd quoted me despite the fact that they'd obviously cloned my HD into a higher-spec refurbished model.

I think it is pretty simple. They used to be a serious cutting edge computer company. They are now a cell phone company and with that you get cell phone company customer service haha.

It is what it is. I have hopes that one day Apple computers will separate itself from telecomunications and be an entity by itself. Doubt it. I will likely migrate to windows when I grow a pair.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
In fairness, Apple has always offered great customer service to me, every time I've needed it. The OP must have been unlucky with the store, because that kind of customer treatment is simply unprofessional.

All in all I'm very happy with my iMac Pro, it's a great machine. However, such a big company should be able to offer a fairly bug free experience, with a only handful of hardware systems (unlike Windows which has to work on a huge number of hardware parts). With Apple's enormous coffers, they should invest some money in getting the software and driver support for the iMac Pro up to par, and get some proper repair options for the iMac Pro outside of warranty cases.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.