New iMac, problems, should I wait and see?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seh80, Mar 7, 2008.

1. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

Yesterday my new 2.8GHz iMac came in (it is one of those special deal refurbs). I upgraded from a white 2.16 iMac.

After running the computer for a while, it froze. There was a ... ticking/grinding type of noise (it was a pretty quick ticking). The mouse didn't move, no beach ball, but it was just totally frozen. The sound is what is alarming me. Finally I had to physically restart it, and it came back okay, the noise is gone, although it took like 5 tries to get it to pair with my bt mighty mouse. :eek: (Mouse settings also reset to default each time I play WoW!)

So do you all think I should wait and see if it happens again? Or is the sound it made perhaps a sign of trouble?

I dread having to pack this thing up to ship back, but I am already missing my old iMac which had no problems.

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It sounds like it got stuck in a write mode on the HD. You have Apple Care, so I'd definately have a Genius or Authorized Repair Center look at it, just in case.

TEG

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Unfortunately ticking/grinding sounds can be related to a faulty hard drive. :( Not saying this is what the problem is for sure, but you should go into Disk Utility and verify the SMART status of your drive for starters. Past that, not sure... If you just received it and are already having issues with it though you may want to consider your options. Being that it is a refurb and not brand new may unfortunately have an impact as well, even though it technically shouldn't matter... :eek: If you have AppleCare on the refurb then I'd take it in and have someone look at it just to make sure.

4. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

Thank you both for the replies. I finally made a list of everything that has been wrong and it was just too much for a one day old computer, I called apple care and am getting the iMac exchanged. Thanks for giving me the push to do it. :)

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem - anything else, let us know. In the meantime, I wish you success with your replacement. It's unfortunate you have to go through this, but hopefully the end result will be worth it. And after all, you deserve a properly working Mac! ;)