New iMac problems with internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ranman444, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ranman444 macrumors newbie

Hi there just purchased a new iMac today and seem to be having problems with the internet when i put iMac to sleep. When i go to use it again i have to go into system preferences and network and press connect every time. The internet connections should be on all the time. I think there is something I am not doing right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Odd! Are you connecting from a router or do you have the modem directly connected to the iMac? Also, are you using a WiFi connection or an ethernet cable?

3. ranman444 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there I am connecting directly to a modem with an ethernet cable.

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Could this be a DSL connection? Maybe specify which ISP and modem type (ex. Westell, Netopia ...). Sometimes with PPPoE, you have to configure the modem to connect and not the iMac.

At my parents house, they have a DSL connection that connects directly into the iMac. Instead of configuring the iMac to accept their DSL username/password, I got into the modems settings and set the modem itself to connect. This way when the iMac goes to sleep ... the modem is still "alive". Had they kept it the way the ISP told them to configure it, it would disconnect after the iMac goes to sleep and until they tell it to reconnect.

I really hope this helps, otherwise I'm out of tips.

5. ranman444 thread starter macrumors newbie

Much aprreciated, figured out last night with your help. Thank-you.