new imac problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mojobebop, Aug 5, 2011.

1. mojobebop macrumors newbie

hi,

i am soon going to purchase an imac.

i am curious to know the percentage of problems with the new imacs.
    meaning, any type of problems. i recall having earlier models; 1999-2001,and constantly having to restart the computer. also i recall receiving instructions
    on deleting preferences in aol, etc. and the computer getting stuck in sleep mode. i'm wondering how prevelant these, or other issues are with imacs in general.

i've had to use a pc since 2007, and really do prefer macs. but i must say that
    there is, (aside from virus, trojans, malware, the pc does seem to require less maintenance.

thanks

2. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe statistically that statement is untrue, yes there are defects in all technology, but have you ever had to defrag a Mac? Or run Spy Sweep or Norton Anti Virus?

As a PC user from 1994 to 2007, I can tell you that owning a PC requires more software matinence then anything.

But that's just my two cents..

P.S Have you ever tried to network two Windows based machines?

:D

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've been running the same Mac for 3 years. Zero issues. Never had to defrag, repair permissions, reset PRAM or SMC, or do any other maintenance procedures. It's just as fast and reliable as it was when I first took it out of the box. I've never had a PC that was this maintenance-free.

4. mojobebop thread starter macrumors newbie

it's possible then i had a defective, one or 2. they were earlier models. i did have the issues i mentioned.

5. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Yep! Windows 7 manages it almost instantly. I guess things have moved on since you last used Windows too. There are some things that OS X does better and some things that W7 does better but overall I would call it a dead heat which is why I run both OS's on my Mac. :)

6. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

I have a brand new 2011 iMac 27" loaded.

The only problems I've encountered so far have been operator error. The machine itself is perfect. :D

7. Clint007 macrumors member

iMac

I'll also by an iMac 21.5 inches to replace my old iBook G4 PowerPC.
    Because it is getting obsolete fast, :(

But my iBook is on 16 hours a day (only 2 hours on standby --my lunch time)

without any problems at all. I only change my Hard Disk for a bigger one.

This Mac will kill me!! :confused:

8. Spike88, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If you search historical threads of this forum (iMac forum), you'll see a high patterns of:
    - Lion = Hotter insides. Hotter insides = very bad.
    - Lion doesn't like Flash. Hotter insides = very bad.
    - Lion / Safari + Flash is bad combo - use Firefox instead.
    - Lion doesn't like to come out of sleep (video problems afterwards).

If it were me, I'd wait 4 more weeks before buying a new 2011 iMac (that comes with Lion). Hopefully, Apple would have resolved most of this "pattern" areas, and have an updated Lion version. And, back to school specials would (should) still be availble as well...

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

iMacs are great machines. I'm typing this on my almost 4 year old late 2007 24" machine. It has never given me ANY problems and has been used with 5 OS's if you include Windows XP run via Fusion. The other OS's were Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard and now Lion. All the upgrades were totally trouble free and have always run stably. IMHO most issue you read about are caused somewhere between the chair and the computer.

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I have a base 2011 21.5" iMac and haven't had any problems with it so far.

11. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Problem of Lion and flash is due to chair and keyboard interface???? R U sure???

Problem of Lion and not coming out of sleep properly is chair to keyboard interface??? R U sure.

Ya. My 2010 iMac works great too. The OP's question was about buying a "new" 2011 iMac. Not a 4 year old iMac.... Or, a 2010 iMac.

12. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I've have none of those problems, and I have the 27" (3.1 Quad i5 w/the 6970m 2GB version).