new imac purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applegreenhorn, Sep 28, 2009.

  1. applegreenhorn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2007
    #1
    thinking of purchasing a 24" imac.couple of questions.

    1.should i purchase now or wait for the next upgrade?

    2.I'm only a casual gamer, but do a lot of video rendering and pics.what level of imac should i go for.?

    3.Is there big differences between cpu's speeds and video cards levels?
     
  2. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2004
    Location:
    New York
    #2
    WAIT!

    There have been lots of rumors from pretty reliable sources over the past two weeks that an update to the iMac line is imminent (like, within the next couple of weeks). If you check out many iMac retailers (i.e. Clubmac, Macconecction, Macmall, etc.), their inventory of iMac's is almost nil, also indicating a fast approaching refresh. My advice is to wait and see what they come up with in the next few weeks. It could potentially be well worth it.
     
  3. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #3
    1. I would wait, unless you need it right now

    2. Depends on what comes out but I would get high-end

    3. We don't know about future ones but in current gen, CPU speeds aren't significantly different but ATI 4850 is easily the best GPU, so get that if you buy now
     
  4. muskett32 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2009
    #4
    Was on the fence myself and finally pulled the trigger last week. Couldn't wait anymore. No regrets. Great machine. Whatever new stuff comes out doesn't bother me. I'm in love. :)
     
  5. londonmystery macrumors 6502

    londonmystery

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2009
    Location:
    London, UK
    #5
    Was exactly the same and bought 1 last week, absolutely love it. I was assured by the store manager that if there is an update/price drop at any point during October I can exchange for the new model and receive the difference back. He even put it in writing.

    I so love Apple customer service, no other retailer in the UK would do that. :):)
     
  6. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

    nullx86

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
    #6
    I got one less then a week ago, but I needed one asap for college. If your not on a timeframe, I would wait.
     
  7. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

    Mike Macintosh

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2009
    Location:
    Washington State
    #7
    Depends on if you need a computer now or later, if you really don't need a new one now I suggest waiting, I myself am still saving for my iMac and will pick up what models are currently in stock, could care less, I think the current models are awesome anyways and I can live without SD.
     

Share This Page