New iMac question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j421, Aug 10, 2007.

1. j421 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of switching to a mac but am debating over whether to purchase a new iMac now, and purchase leopard in october, or simply wait until october for the imac. Aside from leopard, will there likely be any other major hardware/software differences between the imac now and the ones that will ship with leopard in october?

Thanks

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Probably not. I on't think Apple would introduce more new hardware so soon; they'll probably let the imac sink in, and come out with something new early next year. The only exception might be the mighty mouse, but that seems pretty unlikely right now. As for the software differences, :apple: just released ilife '08 and its cousin iwork '08 - so again, unlikely. Now, if you have access to an edu discount (like me :D), you can get a free nano if you buy before Sep. 16, and a free printer before Oct. 22. You could even get both ;).

3. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Nobody knows for sure, but it wouldn't make sense for apple to release new hardware 3 months after a new product. Historically, Apple's updated the iMac about every 10 months or so... Maybe they'll upgrade the processor by the end of the year to coincide with Penryn, but that'll likely be in Q4 '07 or Q1 '08.

You'll hear this a lot...
    "buy when you need to..." if you don't need a computer now, don't buy one; if you do, then go for it.

4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Remember that one time....

I agree that they probably won't make any major hardware upgrades between now and then.
    HOWEVER, if you rember back in October of 2005, they realesed the G5 iMac with Frontrow and built in iSight camera, only to come out with the new Intel iMace two months later in January of 2006. That could have been a pretty big piss off for people.
    But again, no, I don't think they'll make any significant hardware changes between now and then.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Correct!

:mad:

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Seconded...