New iMac questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by subwire, Nov 15, 2007.

1. subwire macrumors member

Good morning everyone,i just bought my first mac a couple days ago(alm iMac,2.4 dual core,2gig ram,500gig hd,radeon 2600),quite proud. I love this thing. I only have 2 questions.

1. How do i uninstall programs,once ive installed um.
    2. How do i delete widgets?

Thank you.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Unless programs have come with an installer (MS Office, Adobe CS), most can simply be dragged to the trash :)

I think there is a Widget manager Widget with Leopard, so you can just deactivate them using that rather than deleting them entirely.

3. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

It's quite simple, really. Like he said before, unless they come with an uninstaller, it doesn't install random crap everywhere, and you simply need to drag it to the trash.

For Widgets, at the bottom of the screen in dashboard is a circle with a plus sign in in. Click that and a bar pops up in the bottom, and little x's appear on all your widgets. Click it and it goes away to the bar at the bottom, to get it back just click it down there!

4. gorby macrumors 6502

I use "Apptrap" that seems to get rid of some little files that seem to be otherwise left around when you delete an app.

Life pref files and such. Probably overkill but that's my Windows instincts coming out

5. subwire thread starter macrumors member

whats the best program to transfer my ipod onto my new itunes?

6. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Subwire, congratulations on your new imac. I have had mine for, oh wow, 1 year today. Woohoo. I still love it. You made a good move when you bought your imac.
    I haven't had any problems with mine except for maybe a couple of kernal panics. Those are easy to fix.
    Have fun and enjoy it.

As for the ipod, I had a near panic with mine. I thought I had lost a movie and music, but when I hooked my ipod up it synced to my itunes and it was put back in there.

7. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Man, we were seperated at birth ;)
    Yep, AppTrap is brilliant and runs whenever you drag an app to the Recycling bin

And for this I used Senuti, very straightforward and does a wonderful job

Enjoy your Mac :)