New iMac Quicktime issue, audio, no video

Discussion in 'macOS' started by akdj, Aug 26, 2008.

1. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I have a couple dozen small .mov (DVCPRO50) (720p/60) video clips I am playing through quicktime. I get the audio, no video on a one week old iMac 20" with 128m 2400 video card. I am using Quicktime Pro (on new iMac) and, obviously, being a week old, it is running latest 10.5 updates. I have no issues running both vid and aud on a 1 year old MBP (10.4) or my mac pro (10.5). I have Final Cut Pro on the Mac Pro, and Logic on the MBP....again, both will play the video. What am I overlooking on the iMac? Do I need to have FCP or Logic to "see" this codec?

BTW, I am offloading P2 cards from HVX 200 and 500's...If anyone else is doing the video thing:)

Thanks,

Jeremhy

2. Ben Kei macrumors regular

More than likely a codec issue.

Install Perian and if that doesn't fix it for you, check if the files play back in something else like VLC or MPlayer.

Also check if the files have been encoded using the mpeg-2 codec, if that's the case then you need to purchase that separately from Apple.
    I believe this comes with Final Cut and Logic (version 8 at least) so it could be that that you're missing.

3. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

Thanks Ben

That has to be it. The only correlation between to two Macs that play the video are Logic and FCP. Hoping I would get lucky with the QT Pro version. I do have an install left for both programs with the original bundle (2 keys that came with it). So, I will put FCP on the iMac...can't hurt:)

Take care

J