New iMac RAM choices

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vapor Trail, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Vapor Trail macrumors newbie

Anyone really concerned about being limited with 8 GB of RAM?

I'm a PC guy by experience and have never experience bottleneck issues with my recent machines (vista, 7) that have had up to 8 GB of RAM. In fact, I barely tap into that resource.

Is mac OS a RAM hog? I ordered my iMac with 8 GB with hardly a concern, but it seems a lot of forum users are throwing money in to max-out RAM. On my windows machine, frankly it'd be a waste of money.

Thanks.

2. burninggarlic macrumors member

burninggarlic

If you are satisfied with the 8 gb ram on your Windows PC, 8 GB ram on Mac OS X will pleasure you much more. More ram on Mac for you can make you feel the God.:D

3. Mac2133 macrumors member

Huh?!!!:eek:

4. Vapor Trail thread starter macrumors newbie

C'mon folks, any benchmarks out there doing a head-to-head comparison of 8 vs 16 GB RAM on otherwise same spec iMacs?

5. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

6. msg362 macrumors member

Surely it depends what you want to do? I'm editing in Premiere Pro, so I've gone for both the i7 3.4 and the 680MX, yes it is more, but on a machine costing around £2000 it's fairly marginal and I hope this iMac will last at least 4 years, so it works out at just a few £ per year extra. Ive got 8 GB RAM from Apple and have ordered an extra 16GB from Crucial, so 24 Gb in total.