New iMac ram not user upgradable

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sean Dempsey, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Is this correct? I don't see where it's possible with the thin edge.

2. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

The 21.5" baseline is listed as not user upgradeable but the 27" is; not sure about the high end 21".

Of course when iFixit gets them there may be a way for the baseline. Yet to be seen.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

High end 21" is same as low end. If you want more RAM you will have to pay Apple $200 for another 8 as it doesn't have the panel the 27" does. Ifixit solution (if possible) will void warranty, and RAM may well be soldered!

4. MojoRisinSD macrumors regular

Chat conversation I just had with Apple:

ME: If I open my iMac to change out the hard drive, does it void my AppleCare warranty?

APPLE: The iMac hard drive is not user upgradable

ME: I realize that is Apple's stance on it, but the fact is that they can be replaced. Just wondering if that voids the entire warranty or if just the new drive wouldn't be covered.

APPLE: If you damage the iMac it would not be covered.

This verifies what I always thought, opening does not void warranty. If you damage something while you are in there, that will not be covered. Aftermarket parts will not be covered either. If you read the AppleCare agreement for iMac, it also verifies this.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Don't know about you but I don't think I want to chance that the genius I take my faulty iMac to doesn't notice I've opened it up and added RAM. Yes apples prices are high, but very low compared to being told my faulty iMac can't be repaired because the fault was probably caused by me opening it. It's not a risk I'm prepared to take on a £1600 purchase.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Generally you want to restore the machine to stock configuration if you send it in anyway as any modifications aren't covered under the original warranty. Ram or drive upgrades are only warrantied by their respective vendors. If you replace the original ram without breaking anything, I don't think you would run into problems. I can understand not wanting to do that. The imacs are clearly designed as sealed appliances.

7. CaptMike macrumors regular

CaptMike

21.5" is not USER upgradable but apple will configure it up to 16GB for an extra $200.

27" is user upgradeable.