New iMac Refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wawanarchist, Oct 22, 2008.

1. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Lets say (and hope) the new iMac's come out on Nov. 18th, and its wonderful, and champagne falls from the heavens, ect. Everyone will be rushing to the Apple stores, except for me... I have a budget of no more than $1,600 and I want an 24". Right now thats perfectly fine, I can pick up a refurb for $1550. But if I want a new one, what will I do?

I guess I have two questions:
    1. How long does it usually take between the release of a product and refurbs to pop up

2. How much of a price drop should I expect on the soon to be old iMac refurbs when the new ones come out? (if the new ones are just speedbumps i'll stick with the older version.)

And please don't suggest I just go for a 20" I have been working on a 30" pro at school and anything smaller is horrible, so I want to get as large a screen as possible

2. iJoe85 macrumors newbie

I got my refurb 24" imac coming in the mail for only $1299! I would get it now, figure it this way, that new imac coming out will be old in a few months, so why not save $$$ money now on a desktop already running fast and reliable?

3. glowjangles macrumors newbie

same boat. Sitting on the fence. Don't want to live in regret with either decision. *sigh*...

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Depends really how fast apple gets a bumped imac, or mac pro, iphone etc back to the shop.

I remember there being iphones on the refurb site about two weeks after the iphone came out.

I would think by january at the latest.

I'm waiting until january to get my 24". Company i work for gives you 100% or $650(which ever comes first) towards a new computer every 2 years.

5. wawanarchist thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, the $1200 is tempting, but i know if i buy now the new imac will be awesome... anyone have any past experience in how long an imac wnet to refurb from new?

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

it will probably be a speed bump. the imac was redesigned not that long ago. and the new mb and mbp look like the imac.

7. wawanarchist thread starter macrumors regular

So it sounds like no one really knows if the price on todays refurb model will drop if a new one comes out?

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

They wont drop. You will just get a better deal for the same amount of money when the new ones appear on the refurb site.