Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KlytusLord

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am saving up to get a top-end iMac, which comes to around $2,500. I want to do this before a new model gets released, because I want to get one with Snow Leopard and not Lion.

I don't know much about Apple's usual schedule, so in general, how much time do you all think I have before new ones come out?

Thanks for your best guesses.

b0redom

macrumors regular
May 4, 2007
Out of interest, why do you want Snow Leopard over Lion?

Maybe look at 2nd user when the next version is released? I'm going to be upgrading mine to the latest and greatest.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Out of interest, why do you want Snow Leopard over Lion?

Maybe look at 2nd user when the next version is released? I'm going to be upgrading mine to the latest and greatest.

Because for some people Lion breaks a lot.
For me it was Spaces and Exposé. I use 12 Spaces with 20 or so applications, and looking at 12 Spaces in one small row above the current Space is ridiculous.
There other things for other users too.

Sometimes New is not always better, though I upgraded to a new Mac OS X version as soon as it came out (from 10.3 to 10.6), but not this time.

Anyway, one can still use the current iMacs with 10.6.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I wonder if a redesign is planned. It's about that time for one.

I hope it solves the dust-behind-glass issue... =T

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Because for some people Lion breaks a lot.
For me it was Spaces and Exposé. I use 12 Spaces with 20 or so applications, and looking at 12 Spaces in one small row above the current Space is ridiculous.
There other things for other users too.

Sometimes New is not always better, though I upgraded to a new Mac OS X version as soon as it came out (from 10.3 to 10.6), but not this time.

Maybe its time to change your habits ;) I for once, am more productive with Lion because the new window navigation system (which groups the applications) makes just so much more sense to me.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I am waiting for the new design iMac so i can buy it. My guesstimate is for january.
Do apple still release new macs at macworld or is that a thing of the past?
Either way. I am really excited for the next update to the iMac. I have the money set aside all ready to buy it. Just gotta be patient for the time being. :apple:

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I am waiting for the new design iMac so i can buy it. My guesstimate is for january.
Either way. I am really excited for the next update to the iMac. I have the money set aside all ready to buy it. Just gotta be patient for the time being. :apple:

We won't see new iMacs until March at the earliest (and I think that is me being a little optimistic). Ivy Bridge CPUs are not slated for release until Q2 next year. Apple will probably get them a little early but no more than a month to a month-and-a-half.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
We won't see new iMacs until March at the earliest (and I think that is me being a little optimistic). Ivy Bridge CPUs are not slated for release until Q2 next year. Apple will probably get them a little early but no more than a month to a month-and-a-half.
Right i see. I am not desperate so i am fine to hang on until then. Will ivy bridge be much of an improvement on sandy bridge in terms of speed. Or dont we know yet. I am not clued in on processors in all honesty.
Thanks

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Right i see. I am not desperate so i am fine to hang on until then. Will ivy bridge be much of an improvement on sandy bridge in terms of speed. Or dont we know yet. I am not clued in on processors in all honesty.
Thanks

If I remember correctly Ivy Bridge will be 30% faster than Sandy Bridge. Another big plus is USB 3.0 is integrated meaning hopefully we will see that in the new iMacs as well. That is one of the major things stopping me from buying an iMac now. I want this machine to last and can see 3-4 years down the road having a device that requires USB 3.0.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
If I remember correctly Ivy Bridge will be 30% faster than Sandy Bridge. Another big plus is USB 3.0 is integrated meaning hopefully we will see that in the new iMacs as well. That is one of the major things stopping me from buying an iMac now. I want this machine to last and can see 3-4 years down the road having a device that requires USB 3.0.

Nice. Thanks for the info. I hope it is sooner rather than later.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
as latest imacs can run both lion and snow leopard you could do this.

-order from apple...at same time also order snow leopard dvd ($29) http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTc1MTEzNjY
-once you receive your imac....backup lion with carbon copy http://www.bombich.com/index.html

Don't do that. The latest iMacs cannot use a retail SL disk, as they are 10.6.3, and the iMacs require 10.6.6 (or thereabouts) to run. You would have to find a SL restore disk for this gen of iMacs online.

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011

Sorry, but new iMacs won't be released in January. It's more likely to be sometime in April-June. The current MacBook Pro and iPad models are further along in their release cycle then the iMac, so they'll be updated first.

heliocentric

Nov 26, 2008
Sorry, but new iMacs won't be released in January. It's more likely to be sometime in April-June. The current MacBook Pro and iPad models are further along in their release cycle then the iMac, so they'll be updated first.

Bare in mind the iMacs replace cycle has been shorter than the MacBook pros the last few times, so they might match up next year.

I don't really think apple would want their flagship model to get left behind.

Sooner the better i hope, as I am waiting for the new model too.

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
There's not much they can do to upgrade right now until Ivy Bridge and the 7000 GPUs come out which probably won't be until around spring time. Unfortunately.

MyFakeAcc

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
They don't care for new graphic cards (in fact, they never did). Ivy Bridge is the only thing we have to wait for - maybe with early access (like SB)?

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Sure, but they did make the latest and greatest mobile GPU an option in May so I imagine they'll do that again when it's ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.