New iMac - replace or wait to fix?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by torsf, Jun 20, 2012.

1. torsf macrumors newbie

Earlier this week I purchased from Amazon a new iMac 27 (sick of waiting to see if there is a refresh), and within 20 minutes of turning the machine on the CPU & ODD fans started spinning full tilt.

I've reset SMC & PRAM quite a few times now, and it hasn't helped. When I ran the Apple Diagnostics, it threw a 4sns .... TLOp -- 124 error, which according to the iMac technicians guide (thanks google) indicates that the display link cable may be loose inside.

Apple Support spent about 15 minutes with me on the phone, and then scheduled me for a Genius bar appointment to resolve the issue. I've had the computer turned on for 6 hours, 5 1/2 of which were spent trying to fix this issue.

Should I simply do an exchange with Amazon, or wait to see what the Genius Bar says? Any solution from the Genius Bar that involves opening the machine is not acceptable, as I'm not going to deal with that on a brand new machine. Otherwise, why did I switch from my home builds?

2. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I vote for returning/exchanging with Amazon. Unacceptable on a new machine. The "Genius" bar is just going to waste time with the machine and possibly open it up. Pardon my French, but **** that. You paid good money for it, let Amazon take the hit and exchange it for you.

There are 3 cables and one sensor for the displays. One is the internal video connection. One is the power connection. The other is a "sync" cable which is toward the top and has a few pins. The sensor could be out of whack or maybe it is the sync cable. Either way, it would involve popping the glass off. Unscrewing 8 torx screws, gently tilting the LED panel out, seeing what cable is loose, plugging it in the way it should've left the factory, and then tightening everything down again - praying - that no dust gets in there.

3. torsf thread starter macrumors newbie

After repackaging the imac to take to the apple store, I decided that it was insane to haul 40 lbs of brand new computer to the apple store, where it would most likely disappear for a few days while they attempted to fix it.

I chatted with Amazon CS, and asked what the return policy would be - I really didn't want to be stuck waiting for the machine to return via UPS ground (which is what amazon usually does). Without further prompting the agent sent another imac overnight, and just said to put the defective imac into the new imac's packaging & slap on the return label. Chat conversation lasted 4 minutes.

Awesome CS

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

That really is great customer service. I've experienced similar CS with Amazon many times.

5. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

That's great. Yeah I've had good experience with Amazon too. Glad to hear it worked out. Hope the new machine is functional!

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Yeah I forgot to mention to say good luck with the new machine!

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Agreed on the exchange with Amazon. Don't mess with it, it's a new computer and no messing with should be necessary. That is assuming you didn't download or otherwise install any wonky or incompatible software.