New iMac, root /super user password ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tumbleweed666, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

When I start my iMac up for the first time what users and /or passwords do I need to set up? Obviously there will be my everyday user account that I create, but is there also a requirement to set up a 'super user' account or give a password for root or similar as there is in, say Linux?

2. b0redom macrumors regular

No, you can create a superuser password, but most likely you'll just want to use sudo (added by default to first user). If you're desparate for a root shell, you can just do:

sudo bash

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You don't need to login as root user hardly ever. It can help in those "Oh crap" situations but very very rarely will one need to login as root. The same cannot be said of an administrator account however. Its a handy tool, and is another layer of security that prevents unauthorized access/installs on the computer. My recommendation would be to have 1 administrator account, and have everyone else (for yourself, relatives, visitors) as a standard account.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

When you start for the first time, the first account will be an administrator account, but it's a good idea to make your everyday account a standard account and use a separate administrator account for system changes (yes, even if you're the only person using the Mac) - the administrator is a superuser and has full read/write access to all areas of the disk.

root exists but is disabled by default. You can enable it but it's never required.

As in Linux, you can add a standard account to sudoers so you can use sudo from Terminal, but the account remains a non-administrator so you can't make system changes from the UI (such as adding to /Applications) without providing the administrator username/password.

5. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, that was what exactly I was wondering about but couldn't phrase as well. Is it though a real PITA not have the 'ordinary' type of admin access or is needing it it infrequent enough that its no issue?

So just to clarify I should create the first user the Mac asks for as part of the start up, lets say Admin with a password of admin (joking :), and then when its all finished asking me the time etc, add my main "everyday" user, lets say 'Tumbleweed' , from that Admin user ?